A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

slkiding

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slkiding

It was raining last night so I wanted to try Quattro in action. I accelerated from a standing stop through a corner and the car started to slide a bit... what gives? I thought I wouldn't slide at all!! It was more of a sideway slide instead of my front wheels just spinning like in front wheel drive cars.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to say, but you did EXACTLY what you're NOT supposed to do...

Quattro isn't some kind of miracle system that sticks like flypaper. You have the same rubber tires on the same slick road as everyone else. If the sideways force exceeds the capability of the TIRES (not Quattro) to grip than you will slide, its simple physics. Quattro did all it could to help, but you exceeded the threshold of the tires capabilities.

The fact that you realized that it was simply the force of inertia that caused you to slide, rather than the power of the car spinning the wheels, show that you actually DID experience Quattro in action. I PROMISE you there will be lots of "Quattro doesn't work, I smashed my car" kind of posts this fall and winter from people who don't understand the limits of the car, and don't really know how to drive in the conditions.

What you should have done to experience Quattro bliss is start from the stop normally, start turning, and when you cross the apex of the corner get on the throttle hard. This is where either a FWD or RWD car will get dicey when its slick, but Quattro will just put down an even force on all four wheels, or move the torque around when needed, and you will shoot out of the corner with speed and control that NO 2WD system can match. Basic Quattro cornering addage: easy in, fast out.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uhh, Quattro can't defy the laws of physics. you only have as much traction as your tires allow...

and you exceeded that traction. The same thing happens when people with ABS stomp on the brakes in a hard corner, they slide off the road just like a non ABS equipped car. Why? Because ABS will prevent the wheels locking up while braking, but will not prevent you from sliding sideways when the sudden braking force exceeds the total amount of grip of the tires, which are already near maximum grip. Quattro works in the exact opposite.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:54 AM

Default There's a curve near where I live.....

...that I love accelerating through in my A41.8TQTip. Corners like on rails.

Then I blew the dust off my 94 Mustang and took it through the same turn in a misty rain. Oversteer is a lot of fun, but I forgot to expect it so easy! (I do love driving that car, but it's a LOT different). No worries, I wasn't going that fast, but where the Audi just turns, the Mustang goes "WHEEEEEEE!". Which of those you prefer depends on circumstances!
Old 10-06-2000, 01:01 PM
CK

Default Take it easy when the roads get slick!

Quattro is not the cure-all for bad weather conditions. Too bad that it sometimes gives a false sense of security. If it's your first season up north with Quattro, go easy until you know the limits of your car. And then avoid pushing those limits. Last winter, there were many stories of near misses, bent rims, undesirable cosmetic mods, or worse. If you read this forum, you probably love your car more than most. Do say you weren't warned!
Old 10-06-2000, 02:47 PM

Default Re: slkiding

4 tires + 0 traction = 0 traction x 4. Although your takeoff maybe somwhere about 100% better than other cars (exaggereated a wee bit), when it is wet remember that there is oil, gravel and other things on the roads especially around the curves. When in a curve, you're not supposed to give it gas, it'll oversteer. If anything, keep the gas constant.

The best my Quattro has done for me in wet weather was when I had to turn 90 deg right while going 25 on wet pavement. Some knucklehead decided to take a right turn on the road beside him w/o looking first. I broke as much as I could and turned the heel all the way. Best wet weather performance I've ever driven in.