A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sludge and Mobil 1 Synth Oil - Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sludge and Mobil 1 Synth Oil - Impossible?

Ok I have been reading about the dreaded sludge problems on the 1.8T for a while. I have a '01 1.8T STD Quattro Avant and have been the only owner..Car has now about 135K with oil changes averaging 10K between changes. ALWAYS used Mobil 1 Synth oil...Am I free from this (potential)problem or could it still loom ahead??
What are the causes of it?
I am planning on keeping it for many years to come.

Opinions Please.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

My unfounded opinion is that sludge is more likely on the 1.8T because the oil line supplying the turbo is located in exactly the hottest place, over the exhaust manifold, turbo and cat. If you add short trips where the oil doesn't' get to normal temperature during the drive, and clogged or broken crankcase vent parts, the conditions are all there. When you shut off the engine, oil in the turbo line gets extremely hot and more likely to "coke", while the majority of oil in the crankcase has water vapor from combustion churned into it that doesn't get evaporated off.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

10K oil changes is too long IMHO. 5K or 6 months should be your change interval. Especially with a turbo. I would put a can of oil detergent in now about 100 miles before your next oil change.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reggie
10K oil changes is too long IMHO. 5K or 6 months should be your change interval. Especially with a turbo. I would put a can of oil detergent in now about 100 miles before your next oil change.

I would agree with running 5K service oil changes also. Make sure you also use the larger oil filter also.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Put some zmax in with the oil. It is used at the Audi dealers so I would says its safe to use. Or sea foam. And change the oil before 6k with 0w-40 If your going to use mobile 1. Any Audi approved oil will do.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank You All for the Replies

I'll try the CD2 stuff before the next oil change..

The main question I guess was if Synth. Oil (like the Mobil 1) was immune to sludge forming.

As I understood it, synth. oil is/was less likely to "cook off" which I thought was the main reason for sludging on our turbo engines...

Thank you all.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ATF

you could save yourself some money and try pouring some ATF fluid into your crankcase. You just need about half a quart. Make sure to drain out a bit of oil. Run it for about 100 miles before your oil change. The ATF has plenty of detergents in it and will also lubricate. I did the seafoam in my audi when I first got it and chunks of stuff came out the oil pan. Knock on wood.. no trans problems yet.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default oil

Almost forgot, I use to be a big fan of mobil 1 but have changed over to castrol. I put mobil 1 synthetic in my new toyota tundra 5.7L and it turned dark brown as opposed to staying a nice golden brown like castro did. Price wise they were both the same per quart and truck takes 7.5 quarts. The castrol seemed to stay cleaner when it was drained.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom_20m
Almost forgot, I use to be a big fan of mobil 1 but have changed over to castrol. I put mobil 1 synthetic in my new toyota tundra 5.7L and it turned dark brown as opposed to staying a nice golden brown like castro did. Price wise they were both the same per quart and truck takes 7.5 quarts. The castrol seemed to stay cleaner when it was drained.
FYI, any oil that stays cleaner or looks like new longer than another oil, is actually not cleaning the engine. Oil that turns dark quicker is cleaning and removing build up from the engine, which means its doing it's job.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
FYI, any oil that stays cleaner or looks like new longer than another oil, is actually not cleaning the engine. Oil that turns dark quicker is cleaning and removing build up from the engine, which means its doing it's job.
Hi Ezveedub, I know. Engine oil color is no indication of the condition of the oil. The color change as you mentioned is due to buildup from the engine and suspended contaminants in the oil. You would need to send your oil out for an analysis to determine if it was still good. Fleet vehicles and our US government do oil analysis before doing oil changes. If you've ever owned a diesel, you could do an oil change and the new oil would still come out black.

Quick Reply: Sludge and Mobil 1 Synth Oil - Impossible?