A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Snow Tires in Poughkeepsie, NY (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 01:06 PM
AKBrooker1

Default Re: Snow Tires in Poughkeepsie, NY (long)

25 years in upstate NY and the last 18 years in Alaska have convinced me you go with the best tires you can afford. I have however used only all-season radials on all my all-wheel drive vehicles with good results.
Old 12-09-1999, 04:01 PM
Peter

Default Tire & Dealer recommendation

This goes for Bill AND Greg...
A good dealer to bring your car in for service is Langan Motorcar in Colonie.
Nuff said.
If not for the fine folks at Bellavia, I would be very tempted to drive from NYC to Albany every 5k miles just to go back to Langan.

It's a bit of a hike from Poughkipsie, but worth the trip (about 50 minutes up the Thruway).
There *might* be a dealer closer to Poughkipsie, but don't know how good they would be. At least good enough for an oil change though.

I agree with everyone else, that if you have the standard all-season tires, you should be okay through the winter.
But consider the roads & the distance you will be travelling to work. You WILL get snow. If you want the BEST traction in the snow, then get snow tires. Otherwise, stick with the all-seasons and drive slower.
Especially if you're only going to be in upstate NY for a few months, and then moving back down south.
Of course, if you have the sport package tires, then buy a set of winter tires (AT LEAST a set of all seasons, or preferably a set of snow tires.)

The Pirelli 210A is great in the snow, and still very respectable in the wet & dry. But expensive.
If you just want something for one season, the Firestone Winterfire should be decent (I sure hope so, since I have them -- the seller included them with the car.) And they are only about $50 each from Tire Rack.

Good luck with the car !
-- Peter
98.5 Pelican Blue 1.8TQMS Garrett 1 bar
Old 12-09-1999, 04:18 PM
MArk P

Yup, don't care for them. I actually purchased/serviced in Watertown CT