A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Are snow tires really that important?? I thought that issue was ridden in the early 80's ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 01:41 PM
Marci & Ty

Default Are snow tires really that important?? I thought that issue was ridden in the early 80's ???

Obviously snow tires are better than sport tires when driving in the snow. I only ask this question because I thought that most tires were now being made with more temperature tollerant compounds than they were in the 80's. I have had a few different sport tires on my Bronco, camaro and MX6. They were all really good at dry hot pavement for off the line but they were also pretty good in the snow. THey never hot hard like older summer tires did.

I also thought that since even sport tires are better than they were, adding Quattro would multiply their effectiveness.

If that is not true, what tires should I get? I was actually thinking about upgrading to a slightly wider tire that is good for the winter and summer.

ANy suggestions???
Old 10-13-1999, 01:52 PM
Al Pollack

Default They are extremely important...................................

even if you have quattro. Go onto the wheel & tire forum and a whole new world will open up. Yes, exactly about winter wheels/tires. Everything you need to know is there.

Al
99.5 1.8tqtsc
Old 10-13-1999, 01:54 PM
David Hess

Default Re: Are snow tires really that important?? I thought that issue was ridden in the early 80's ???

If you plan on driving in the snow often, snow tires will help you out a lot and you and fellow motorists will be safer. Quattro is a great system to use in snow, but it does have its limitations and you limit it even more with non-winter tires. Just because you are driving the Quattro in the snow don't feel over confident. It is a lot easier to drive in the snow with Quattro but use it as a safety factor and not a reason to drive faster in the snow. Steering and braking works about the same as non 4wd cars. You will benifit the most in getting started and keep rolling. I'm sticking the Mich Pilot Alpines on my quattro. I heard it is one of the best winter tires out there while still offering a decent dry road ride and handling. The tires are worth the extra cost for safety reasons alone. Now if you live in a place that might get snow and you don't plan ondriving in heavy snow, you will be better off with all seasons.
David Hess
98.5 2.8QSTip
Old 10-13-1999, 02:10 PM
Rodney

Default Depends on your circumstances

Yes, snows make a big difference. The tires that come with the sport suspension are summer only high performance tires. They are not good in the snow. Their tread pattern is optimized for putting the most rubber on the road, and secondly for channeling water out of the way. Thus they have excellent dry and wet performance. The rubber compound they use is also designed to withstand very high temps (rated for speeds over 149 mph). Again, very good on dry roads. Unfortunately these characteristics are a big negative in snow.

You have a couple of options. High performance all season tires are a good compromise if you get a few decent storms each year and/or go skiing occasionally. The Dunlop SP4000 is basically the SP8000, but with an all season tread pattern. If you almost never have to deal with snow, summer tires and a little bit of added caution should be fine. If however you experience significant snowfall and/or spend a lot of time in the mountains in winter, a good set of dedicated snows is the best way to go.

Also, as noted below, remember that while Quattro will allow you to get going, it won't help when you're trying to stop.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 10-13-1999, 02:38 PM
Marci & TY

Default Any benefit / illbenifit to a slightly wider tire that may look a little better? SP4000 sounds good!

THe SP4000 seems like the one I might want then but what about a slightly wider tire? I know mileage will be reduced slightly what about Quattros responsivness and road noise? I also like the bolder look of a wider tire.
Old 10-13-1999, 02:57 PM
TomP

Default If you drive on snow more than 5 days a year, BUY snow tires.

Yes even with Quatro.

The added safety to you and ME fully justifies the cost. You are talking about $500+ for good snow tires on steel rims and they should last 3 or more seasons (depending on tire and how you drive).

Sliding off the road once and having to get towed and repaired will fully pay for the tires.
Old 10-13-1999, 03:08 PM
Reggie

Default Go over to the wheel and tire forum - Lots of info there

I drove two winters in Colorado on SP8000s but this winter I will switch to snow tires - Dunlop Grasphic HS2 on my 16" wheels. Lots of inputs on the type of tires to use in the tire forum. Spend the time going back through the postings to determine the kind of driver you are and the type of tyre that you think you want.

The other postings are right - all season tires and all the improvements have made the cars better performers in the wet but you still need to have dedicated snow tires and wheels for the winter. The rubber needed for snow and ice will cause the performace to suffer in the warmer months and in the non weather days of winter. There is no one tire that does it all.

The Quattro was great but there were times when I could tell that the tires were struggling and I had to be alert not to loose control.

Reggie

98.5 30vQMS
Old 10-13-1999, 04:37 PM
RTM

Default More important than quattro

You will be better off with a front-wheel drive A4 with good snow tires than a quattro with performance tires, or probably even typical all-seasons.

The rubber in sport tires is formulated specifically for warm weather. It hardens up in colder weather and lots of their performance potential disappears even on dry roads.
Old 10-13-1999, 04:53 PM
Gordon Martin

IMHO, snow tires are a no cost option - you can only wear one tire set at a time anyway ...
Old 10-13-1999, 04:57 PM
phred

Default With snow tires, you want to go SMALLER (minus-one fitting) ...

check out Tire Rack and Discount Tire for the reasoning.

Quick Reply: Are snow tires really that important?? I thought that issue was ridden in the early 80's ???