A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

so among other things this weekend, i went to remove my motor in my headlight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so among other things this weekend, i went to remove my motor in my headlight...

upon removing the headlight, i noticed black 'glue' that was holding my headlight in place. now, i remember when i first got my car back from my accident last year, there were no bolts holding the light in, so i made the body shop put the bolts in. i didnt think anything of it at the time. so it turns out that a peice of my headlight was broken (the little **** at the bottom corner), so the body shop apparently glued it to my car so it would stay in place! the glue must have started to unadhese (is that a word?) and that's what's causing my headlight to vibrate. i called the body shop today and am going to take my car into them next week to show them what is wrong. i want euros. i found a set for $400. should i buy them, and make the body shop reimburse me for one? or wait? how could i convince the body shop to get euros? and would i just have to pay for one?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you can get them to agree to pay for a replacement, then when they go get the price on an OEM

part from the dealer it's going to be high. I'm guessing like $300 for one side. Explain that you can get aftermarket units (both) for almost that cost.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:02 AM

Default so then ask pick up the set for $400 and ask for them to pay for half?

and they may be willing to do that?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 AM

and does anyone have a part number for Euro S4 housings?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Default When I had insurance replace my headlight (1) they gave me like $280 ish and the

Euros were aroudn $309 for both. So I paid only the difference. The body shop should pay you for the headlight cost to them, or equivalent.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're ins. co. should issue a supplement check for the newly found damage.

Now, here's the kicker: is your ins. co. willing to just sent the check to you, or do they issue the check to the body shop? If the latter, you'll need to tell the body shop that you want different parts ordered, which they may or may not agree to. Also, IIRC, these are used parts that your buying, so they can't just order them. So, the body shop will hopefully issue you the same amount the ins. co. gives them. Ask nicely.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:16 AM

Default well since it was through my work, they didnt cut a check to me at all.

the body shop was paid directly through the insurance company. so i should just say that i have the parts and would like the cost of one headlight reimbursed to me?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Rest In Peace

Yes, but first check their original receipt and find out whether they claimed REPLACEMENT of thelite
Old 11-25-2002, 09:29 AM

Default no, they didnt claim replacement, they did claim

headlight assembly, and lens, but it was only for $16, so that was not for the full housing.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Rest In Peace

Default k. I'd call the ins. co. and tell them it was not fixed correctly, tell them you bought the parts.

and ask them to reimburse you the value of an OEM healdight. Make sure when you ask your adjuster for this you enclose some pics of the shoddy fix job ont he headlight and an explanation of why it's not good enough (vibration on teh road, etc)

Quick Reply: so among other things this weekend, i went to remove my motor in my headlight...