A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

So I bottomed out today and now my car sounds funny (ticking and chugging)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bottomed out today and now my car sounds funny (ticking and chugging)

I think the subject sums it up quite nicely, lol.

I kind of bottomed out when I was leaving a grass parking lot and going back onto the road, on this makeshift ramp they had, and I heard something hit the ground.

I pulled over and looked around... the belly pan is still in good shape and is not cracked or broken anywhere and the car was running fine.

As i was leaving after pulling over to check it out, I noticed that the engine seems to have more of a chug/tick to it. It also seems like there may be a slight exhaust leak because well, it sounds like there is a small exhaust leak.

Now this may all be in my head, because of my paranoia, but is it possible that hitting something from underneath might cause this chug and tick from the engine, either directly or indirectly?

Keep in mind I just got the car a couple of weeks ago so I really don't quite now how it sounded before the incident.

I have NEVER been underneath these cars so I have no idea where anything is situated and is why I am asking the question.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Default turbo A4? check for cat flange seperation...

I have heard of the flange not only seperating out of nowhere, but also after what you did. It seperated on my car ofcourse. The seperation will be at the turbo side of the catalytic converter. Nothing will be wrong with the turbo, the flange is just known to seperate from the rest of the cat. It also depends on the year of your A4...it's more likely to happen on an older A4 turbo that has the older cat with crappy weld.
J
Old 07-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Default It's a 98.5 A4 1.8TQ tip... but what about that crazy ticking and slight chugging at idle

Word, but I am guessing that would be the source of the exahust leak type sound, but what about the actual ticking/chugging... and when I popped the hood, I could have sworn that there was slightly more vibration than before...

Like I said before though, it is a new car (for me) so I could just be "hearing" and "seeing" things that were always there but now stick out after the incident.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:00 PM

Default it can make all sorts of sounds if that happens...

follow the link and look at the area circled in red. This is the area of interest. You need to make sure it is not seperating at that point. Do not grab that while it is hot! =-) Your car can make all sorts of weird sounds from this breaking.
J<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2354618.phtml">cat pic</a></li></ul>
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Default I will take a look at it in the morning, but the sound seems to come from the motor itself

So that area in red is where the split would occur?
I will take a look at it tom. morning as well as the underside of the car. I would assume that the seperation would only cause a leaky-exhaust sound and maybe some ticking as in the loose peices hitting each other but this seems to be coming from the engine itself which is what is disturbing me..
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Default ok..but if it is the cat flange...

it is covered under the 8yr/80,000mi emissions warranty. If you are out of that warranty you can get it rewelded at a muffler shop. And some have reported it can be done while it is still on the car. They just need to slip it back into the flange and weld from the outside around the edge. That isn't the best way, but will work and probably in terms of cost..the best for the money.
J
Old 07-09-2005, 05:46 AM

Default So I checked the flange and it seems ok, BUT

I did notice there was a hairline crack @ the flex joint under the car, and when started that is where the sound was comming from.

Hmmm... any ideas that may link the impact and the ticking sound... i suspect that it was there before, but i didnt notice it, but I am still going to double check everything.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:51 AM

Default I also recently had the t-belt changed if that makes a difference

The day before this occured I picked up my car after having the timing belt/updated tensioner/pulleys/w-pump/belts/ changed so i dont know if that has anything to do with the sound
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default check the heat shields surrounding the exhaust

i bottomed out and my heat shield was bent and rubbing the driveshaft...made weird sounds like you may be experiencing. easy to bend back on your own...good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:41 AM

Default get that crack fixed...

it will get worse over time. I have no idea where your ticking is from. If it was there before it could be the cam chain tensioner. That is a common issue with your year of A4 turbo. Mine only makes that sound at start up and goes away after 30 sec. Some people have had that part replaced only to have the sound come back. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it sounds terrible and gets worse.
J

Quick Reply: So I bottomed out today and now my car sounds funny (ticking and chugging)