A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Some basic questions on basic car upgrades. (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-1999, 08:50 AM
Newbie Upgrades

Default Some basic questions on basic car upgrades. (kinda long)

Hello all,<p>I'm interested in doing some small upgrades to my A4 1.8T but I'm not really sure where to begin or how to learn more. Because the Audi A4 1.8T is my first new car and actually the first car I've ever owned that is solely mine, I've never really worked with cars too much before this. In the future, I am planning on chipping the car, installing a better exhaust, and getting better wheels. I've been reading this forum religiously for the past few months so I've basically learned alot about chipping the car. However, when it comes to installing a new exhaust or getting new wheels, I have no idea where to begin. (warning, some really stupid questions coming) First off, when people install a new exhaust or new wheels, do most people generally install it themselves, or do you normally get a mechanic to do it? Also, in terms of the exhaust, how do you choose which one to install and how do you know which ones fit your car? Wow, ok, this is getting kind of long so I should stop. Thanks in advance for any help or if you can direct me towards any literature or websites to learn more!
Old 06-14-1999, 09:09 AM
DaveL

Default Re: Some basic questions on basic car upgrades. (kinda long)

Congratulations on the new car.<p>Quick answer to you questions:<br>I would say you should have the exhaust installed by a professional. If you are buying a wheel/tire package, you can should be able to put it on yourself, using the jack & tools provided with the car.<p>For wheels & tires, I would suggest looking at www.tirerack.com for lots of great info.<br>For exhausts, you could search around in the archives and find lots of different vendors such as Sterbro, Remus, Scorpion, Abt, etc. Another good resource is picking up a copy of European Car magazine from the newsstand. Lots of Audi tuners advertise there.<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett<br>