A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

some venting after 2 year service...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 01:06 PM
TomF

Default some venting after 2 year service...

First of all, most of the service items were done and I'm happy with, but I have to vent about:

-Loose driver's seat (whole seat shifts). Dealer claimed it appeared normal - like others they had on the lot. They will look into the Audi tech line to see if they can find something. (I know it's not the way it used to be).

-Ecru seat had grime/dirt on it from tech sitting in it... this happens every time. Why don't they cover the seat with plastic?

-Upon examining and cleaning the above, I noticed several small but clear cuts in my vinyl seat on a seat bottom side bolster! I just cleaned out my car last week - I'm 99% sure it happened at the dealer. They said they will repair it some how - is this really possible?

Tom
1.8TQMS
Old 01-06-2000, 01:37 PM
Robert Jordan

Default Re: some venting after 2 year service...

Tom, you did not say what your seats are covered with (cloth, leatherette, leather), but I assume you have leatherette as I do. I noticed a small cut about 1/4" long on passenger seat bottom after a dealer service to replace a sagging headliner (the car was about 8-mos old).

I called the cut to the attention of the service manager and he said he was sure the cut was not caused by the shop, but for me to keep an eye on it let him know if it got worse. Well it has been a couple of years now and the cut looks exactly the same as it did the day I discovered it. I have thought about repairing it myself by squirting a little clear silicone or Goop in the cut, but I never got around to it. the leatherette is very tough and the cut has not gotten any bigger.

Anyway, if your seats are leatherette and the cuts are superficial, I wouldn't worry too much.

Robert Jordan
'97 1.8t
Old 01-06-2000, 01:41 PM
JR

Default Re: some venting after 2 year service...

We have the new '00 1.8T and I am still griping about the loose driver's seat. Dealer said it's within spec. Then why do other car manufacturers have seats that do not move (Honda, Nissan, Volvo, Ford, ect).???

You think when you spend between $28K - $34K for a car you would get a seat that stays in its place. This "little" problem is very irritating...

Other than that, we get to find out next week if we get a brand new transmission (5sp)!!! We purchased the car in October.

So far, no other complaints. I still would buy another one, though. What a great ride. Just as long everything happens under warranty.

JR
'00 1.8T QMS Silver
Old 01-06-2000, 03:02 PM
TomF

yes, vinyl... looks like your tech had the same thing in his pocket as mine did.
Old 01-06-2000, 03:13 PM
wrench

Most people carry screwdrivers etc. in pocket. This happens, but shouldn't
Old 01-06-2000, 04:06 PM
randall

Default loose seat: I had to get the AUDI rep involved.

1/ Turned out one of the mounts was broken.
2/ take a seat cover?

I know (2) sounds ridculous, but I leave a note on my car EVERY time I go to the dealer that says:

"this car is lower than you might expect, exercise caution!"

1996 a4 2.8 qm SLAMMED