A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Something is defiently messed up with my audi and I need some input from ppl who know alot more than

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is defiently messed up with my audi and I need some input from ppl who know alot more than

me. Well I was running my audi A41.8QM with a friend of mine when i realized after the second run, my car was starting to smell kinda funny. But I just thought it was nothing and ran again for the last time. On the last run, I realized that after the RPM hit the redline, I changed gears to 2nd but it was still redlining without dropping down few thousands and redling again. Now my car still goes into gears but Im not getting any power from my car and the rpm just revs at like 4 to 5 thousands with very minimal speed. Im just trying to figure out if its the clutch i blew or is the the drive train or etc......need help for I hate seeing my car sick like this. I need to start some work on it soon. Thanks in advanced
Old 01-23-2002, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Probably smoked/glazed your clutch... It will go back to normal after a while...

Just don't do it again.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:27 PM

Default So then how long do you think it will take for it to go back to normal. its been 24hrs now. Plus

after that last run, my car was smoking for awile but that stopped soon enough.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Smoking? From under the hood?...

I've abused my clutch once or twice to get a good start on someone... The quattro is not a drag car. But if you get the slippage just right it is amazing how it will take off. Doesn't happen to often for me though...

Were you revving and dropping the clutch? You can't do that, you have to feather the clutch and the throttle. If you glazed it, I'm not sure how long it will take it to get back to normal.

If your car has alot of miles or alot of this sort of driving on it, you could have just finished off your clutch!
Old 01-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Geo
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default one thing you might try

this has worked on slipping clutches in the past, assuming you have plenty of clutch left.

run your car up against something like a curb so your car won't move forward. put it in 4th and slowly let the clutch out til the engine dies. do this a couple times. it will abrade the clutch and restore the surface.
this has worked in other cars for me (gti for instance) though i have not needed to try it in my audi.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Didnt really drive too hard until I got my car chipped. even after that, i still drove mod. except

for some times when I wanted to run it hard. Running my car isnt one of my fav things to do, only when im in the mood. My car has 65k with arp chip for about 5k or so.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:18 PM

Default Re: one thing you might try

Hey i tried it and it worked to al point but not completely. My clutch is picking up lot better now but now its rattling in 1, 2, 3, gears when I completely take off the clutch while driving. Im thinking about getting another clutch so thats no prob.....im just worried its something else besides the clutch. Thanks man
Old 01-24-2002, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That clutch jobs a pain, you have to drop the tranny I think. Find a good mechanic