A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Something to look out for -corrosion licence lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-1999, 11:50 AM
Murray

Default Something to look out for -corrosion licence lights

Hi everyone,<br> Thought I'd fill you in on something I just discovered that you may want to look out for.I noticed that the driver-side licence-plate lamp on my 98.5 was burnt out.Upon checking I noticed that the lense was all brown.I opened it up and found that everything was totally corroded and in bits.The pass-side is well on it way as well.Seals were intact and properly positioned?Dealer will replace under warr.so no problem,but something to watch for.<br>
Old 04-06-1999, 12:11 PM
Andy Hedin

Default I have the same problem....

Wow...same problem on my '97:<p>I thought the left license-plate light was burned out. Removed the one screw no problem but the second screw holding the lens in place just spun and spun and wouldn't come out. Turns out that the metal insert that Audi inserted into the plastic had come out. I ended up having to gently pry the lens off. Little bits of plastic fell out. The bulb actually wasn't burnt-out, it just wasn't making contact with the electrical contacts due to the one side being screwed up. So, it looks like I'll need a new housing now as the one that's there no longer has threads for the screws. What a cheap piece of junk. IMHO, Audi did a poor design job on this piece...too much brittle plastic.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, E-codes...
Old 04-06-1999, 12:53 PM
Cathleen

Default Re: corrosion

Well, at least Audi has the best corrosion protection warranty out there. I think it's up to 12 years on current models and is 10 on my early A4. My Hondas rusted badly, and very quickly.....no help from them!<br>Sorry.....the Audis may have problems but I'm still happier than before.<br>-C.
Old 04-06-1999, 01:44 PM
E

Default Re: corrosion

> My Hondas rusted badly, and very quickly.....no help from<br>> them!<p>My BMW, Porsche and Honda did not have this problem... didn't need <br>help from them either!<p>> Sorry.....the Audis may have problems but I'm still happier than<br>> before.<p>I'm sure you would love your child even though he's not the smartest in<br> school.<p>Just in fun ;-)<br>E
Old 04-06-1999, 04:00 PM
E

Default Re: I have the same problem....

> So, it looks like I'll need a new housing now as the one<br>> that's there no longer has threads for the screws<p>Same thing happened on my 96 A4. I had it replaced under warranty.<br>The dealer tried to jury-rig it but insisted that they replace the entire housing.<p>> What a cheap piece of junk. IMHO, Audi did a poor<br>> design job on this piece...too much brittle plastic.<p>Agreed.<p>E