A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Speaker Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Recommendation

Hello

I need some help, the lower speakers in the front doors and one of the 6.5" speakers in the rear deck had deteriated and are cracked. (they are component speakers without an integrated tweeter)

Could you recommend some replacement speakers that sound as good as the orignials and where to buy them?

I have a 2001 A4 Quatro with Audi Symphony Sound and the Bose(R)Premium Sound System Speaker package.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have heard good things about Focal. I'd post this on the Audio forum as well. I am running the stock fronts with the stock headunit, and using the rear speaker output wires as low-level inputs to an amp that powers my sub- no rear speakers. It sounds great in my car.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Infinity KAPPA52.9I 5.25 in the front doors. They sound nice. I used them because they are 2ohm like the stock ones are. So if you use the normal 4ohm aftermarket speaker on the stock head unit without an amp they won't kick out as much unless you use a low wattage speaker. KAPPA63.9I 6.5's in the rear deck powered by an 4 channel amp powering them on channels 1 and 2 and a single 12" sub bridged on 3 & 4.
Sounds good, not too overpowering but I can wake the neighbors if needed!!!

BTW I sell them. look on www.kustom-koncepts.com

let me know if you plan to purchase I'll give you a 10% discount code.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used MB quart 5 1/4 components and sound great, jmo, but for 180 bucks they rock and are clear as can be even at full vol.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bose Speaker Replacement Solution

I did my research on replacing some of the blown speakers in my 2001 A4 Quatro ATQ 2.8 and have two solutions:

1. Replace the speakers with Infinity Kappas. The Kappas are 2ohm like the Bose and thus compatible. These are made of synthetic materials, have great sound quality and will last a long time. You will use plastic baffles on the back of the speakers and have to do some fitment work , the Bose has 3 connection points where as the Kappas have 4 points. www.kustom-koncepts.com has good prices on the Kappas, they can get any model - just email them.

2. Replace the speakers with New Bose Speakers. (this is what I chose to do) The cost is $40/speaker and you order them from Bose Automotive Division Customer Service.

In the US call: 1-800-231-2673
Outside the US call: 1-508-766-6885
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET

You will need the make, model and year for your car and the speaker numbers off the back of your speakers. To get the numbers you will have to remove the speakers from the back of the door panels (see tech articles). You can get the number for the rear deck speakers off their bottoms in the trunk. You need to crawl into the trunk and remove the plastic baffles from the bottoms of the speakers. To do this you have to carefully pry open the 4 plastic clips, holding them open slowly pry/pull the plastic baffle off the back of the speaker. It is being held on by double sided tape. I used a screwdriver to pry each clip open, and used paper clip wire to wedge/hold the clips open. I fished/looped the wire under each clip, so that the ends of the wire rested on the outside of the baffle. Once all four clips were open, I used the screw driver against the metal base of the speaker to slowly pry the plastic baffle away from the double sided tape. Then carefully peal back the double sided tape, the number you need in underneath. Most of the ink may come off with the tape so you may have to read the number off of the tape or the speaker bottom tag.

The numbers for my speakers were:
1493332 for the Front door 4.5”woofer
1760460 for the Rear deck 6.5” woofer

I chose the Bose because they are plug and play (a sure thing). Note all Bose speakers are made of paper and will degrade over time.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm Glad I found this post because I literally just finished upgrading the system in my car. I went with the Infinity reference speakers (5&1/4 in the front and 6&1/2 in the rear), got an infinity 4 channel amp, two channels to power the rear speakers and bridged the third and the fourth to power my 10 inch MTX. The front are powered of the head unit which is enough for the two speakers. I also got a USA spec ipod interface to run my iphone right through my stock head unit. I did all the wiring myself and enjoyed every second of it, although it did take some creativity at points. Every thing can be purchased off crutchfield.com and the speakers I got are even on sale for like $65 or $70 for the pair. I love the sound and I did this all with the ultimate goal of it looking like the stock system and being able to control everything through the head unit. Mission accomplished. I'll follow up with this thread so respond to me if you have any questions and I will walk you through everything I did. (I have a 99.5 A4 1.8T so I'll help as much as I can)

Good luck.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R475...5a.html?tp=115
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022...2si.html?tp=95
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1085022...22i.html?tp=97
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...=usa+spec+ipod
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Aschneider9,

When I looked through the forum I had trouble finding details about replacement solutions. I also went to Best Buy and called Crutchfields multiple times, getting totally different answers from each of 5 people. None of them knew that the original speakers were 2ohm, just that it is a proprietary system. Hopefully this post can collect detailed descriptions of a couple of good options. If you have time, give us as much detail as possible on your decisions, what you did and why.

The Bose replacement solution for 3 speakers was $128 including shipping. I have alot on my plate right now and it was the easiest/quickest option. I may come back to this thread in the future and use your solution to upgrade my system.

The Infinity Kappas 4", 5.2" or 6.5" speakers from K...K... were $87/pr. + ship.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have experience with Alpine R-series 5-1/4 for the rears? I just put a set in my 99.5 A4 and run them from a fosgate amp pushing about 50w RMS to each which is under rated for the speaker but it's a pretty nice fosgate and can push a 10" so it should do a decent job. My experience is that even with these Alpine R series it sounds pretty poor from the rear deck and almost feels like it just isn't a good acoustic setup regardless of the speakers. I came from a BMW 328i with the stock harmon Kardon rear deck speaker and in my opinion the BMW sounded way better. I'm still running the stock front separates off my clarion head unit; they have ample volume but I don't like the balance of High/Low, the tweeters seem too overwhelming and screachy.

In General, are you other B5 A4 owners happy with the acoustics from the rear deck, or do you get the feeling that sound seems dampened due to the design of the car?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I run the Infinity Kappa Perfect. 3" front, 6 1/2 Rear. Pushing JL 300 sub, having JL 500w amp 4 way powering all components.

The acoustics sound great, its all how you set it up. You can mess with the Hz to get the right sound. I'm kicking all treble in the front so i can actually hear the lyrics and music. Bass in the rear bc i just feel thats where it should be.

Will be doing custom mids in the front to eventually equal it out. Might be a bit over kill but it sounds great now, just have the extra mids lyin around waitin for a beat.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

why do people bother with amping and upgrading rear deck speakers.. haven't been to many concerts where the sound was presented behind me. now ofcourse, bass is pretty much omnidirectional, so subs in the trunk is fine. wondering why some here are purchasing coaxial upgrades/replacement for the lower doors, when they should go the route of seperates(midbass, tweeter, xover) and take advantage of the factory tweeter pods. amp the seperates upfront and just run the rears at lower volume off the deck power. save your amp outputs and bridge them for a single 10 or 12(sealed box preferable) in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Speaker Recommendation