A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 06:15 AM
Nick

Default Speaker upgrade

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my factory front & rear speakers. I have a 99.5 A4 1.8T.
I anyone has done this already please let me know which speakers they used and how was install (easy/hard). Thanks
Old 09-21-1999, 08:07 AM
Glenn R

Default Been there, done that...

Replaced all of the speakers in my factory Concert unit with Polk components and added a Kenwood 35Wx4 amp. The sound quality is much improved. But, I think the improvement is mostly due to the amp. If I had to do it again I would probably skip the new speakers and just get an amp for starters.
Old 09-21-1999, 09:26 AM
Brandon

Default Re: Been there, done that... (long)

Hi,

I was considering just such an upgrade, but I do not know squat about stereo equipment. All I know is that the sound on the concert system could be a litte better. I have seen other posts on this forum concerning this topic and I did search the archives (which is difficult considering they are all split up), but I am not sure. If one were to add an amp, what would be the cost and could a novice with good direction handle the situation at home in a weekend? What amp do you all recommend.

Feel free to email me directly if you feel that this topic has already consumed too much bandwidth alredy.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon
Old 09-21-1999, 09:49 AM
Klidge

Default If you want the biggest bang for your buck...

Install an 8" subwoofer on the rear deck, and power it with an amp, which you can install directly underneath the rear deck. Don't worry about changing the stock speakers until you do this. I bet it will be enough of an improvement to satisfy you; it did me. A good shop will do the whole thing for about $350, including components and labor. The difference is quite amazing.
Old 09-21-1999, 09:55 AM
Rodney

Default Everyone has their personal favorite amp

Best bet is to find a reputable local shop and choose from what they have in your price range (Alpine, Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate, Sony ES to name a few). Listen to all the amps at various volume levels with your music (bring a couple of cd's) and go with the one you like best.

The install is not for the faint of heart (involves soldering wires), but if you are reasonably mechanically and electronically inclined (if you can't add your own RAM forget it) you should have no problem with a little guidance. Just plan on setting aside a day, and make sure you've got all the propper tools and parts. As for cost, decent 4 channel amps can be had for under $200 (I was considering an Alpine that would've been about $180 on sale), figure another $50 for decent power cable, speaker wires, and various connectors. Depending on the shop, install would be at their hourly rate...figure about 3-4 hours for pros to do it. If they tell you an amp install is a flat rate, explain to them it's a custom job...the Concert head unit does not have line level RCA plugs on it...the line level output is just pin outs (wires must be connected to these and the common ground - all labeled on the head unit).

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-21-1999, 11:48 AM
Greg Marquis

Default Re: Been there, done that...

The Audi Concert's rear speakers have an integrated apmlifier in the base of each speaker. Without some fancy wiring, which isn't always possible, you can't use them with a traditional amplifier. Plus the stock speakers aren't very good with the exception of the front tweeters, which are excellent, IMHO.

-Greg
'98.5 2.8QM
remove Hormel's favorite food from my address to email me
Old 09-21-1999, 12:01 PM
Rodney

Default No they don't

The amp (which draws its signal from the RL and RR line level outs on the back of the Concert head unit)is mounted under the left rear speaker. All four (the fronts use a passive crossover so I don't really consider them seperates) speakers get regular speaker level input, the fronts from the head unit's amp, and the rears from the little rear amp. They work just fine with an aftermarket amp, in fact they sound great with mine and have (at least temporarily) quelled my urge to get new speakers.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-21-1999, 08:54 PM
markbradford

Default Until tomorrow (when I install an MB Quart component set) I'm running a PPI PC 225 (2 x 25w) to.....

the stock speakers (all four, amp running at 2 ohms). It has vastly incrased the sound quality - but at the same time I added this amp I also pulled the stock deck and replaced it with a NAK CD player. You do need a sub if you don't change the stock speakers, and you'll never get a good front image (although w/ 5 1/4"'s being the largest you can get into the front doors w/o extensive modification you have to choose the lesser of two evils anyway.)

If you do decide to get new speakers up front (the rears should be OK unless you're serious) check out A/D/S component sets (my first choice but a relatively complicated install that I wanted to avoid) and the MB Quart sets (simple installwith the A4 adapter kit available from MB Quart.

Cheers,
Mark