A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

speaker upgrades/compatible with stock headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 12:35 PM
Kurt

Default speaker upgrades/compatible with stock headunit?

I have a 99.5 2.8M with the concert headunit. I just added a 100w powered sub and the installer tapped into the rear speaker lines. I asked about upgrading the stock front speakers to Kappa's or BAs but he said they were amped like the back speakers and I would have to gut the whole system if I wanted to just upgrade the speakers. Is this the runaround?
Old 01-21-2000, 12:39 PM
Rich L.

Default Kinda.

The front speakers are driven by the head unit at something like 20 watts. The rear speakers are self-powered. They are attached to pre-amp outputs in the head unit, but they are not RCA style.

Rich L. 99 1.8TAQMS
Old 01-21-2000, 02:04 PM
larryV

Default Yes a runaround...

A good installer would open it up and take a look first before assuming anything about how the speakers are powered and connected in your car. Granted, the A4 has pretty funky connections here and there. It is definitely possible to just upgrade the fronts. Just keep in mind that it will cost you future usage of the voice coil on the left front for the hands-free phone. So as long as you're not planning on adding that, then all that needs to be done is to take the speaker-level outs from the head unit, run it through a balanced-line input (some amplifiers namely Xtant has these built-in) and to a 2 channel amp which with crossover will power the two fronts and the two tweeters. Or if you want to go for all the gold, get a 4-channel amp and replace all the speakers! I'm REALLY curious, what subwoofer did you get, what enclosure design, and what amp is powering it? Does it sound good? I'm currently going through some subwoofer issues right now. It sounds great but I'm ****... my installer is satisfied, my friend loves the bass, but I'm picky and I want more accuracy and flat response. So I'm dumping my JL 10W3 for a Boston 10.5LF.

Larry
99.5 1.8Tqts APR K&N
Old 01-21-2000, 02:56 PM
Tony

Default Stock head unit does not have "balanced" line outs, just plain old single ended line outs ("RCA") nt

nt
Old 01-21-2000, 03:45 PM
larryV

Default I know. That's why I suggested to run it through an amp or device that...

...will accept the signal. excuse the way I phrased it... I'm familiar with the Xtant amp where all you need to do is connect any source signal (whether balanced or not, speaker level or line level - it doesn't matter) to its balanced line input which eliminates induced noise before amplification. I'm assuming most quality amps out there have some form of this circuitry as well as a regulated PWM (power width modulated) power supply.
Old 01-21-2000, 05:12 PM
LeoE

Default Cost???????????

How much did it cost for this upgrade and also does the speakers sound like it can handle more base or did you put a crossover to separate the highs,mids and lows????