A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

To Sport or not to Sport revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 06:02 PM
JDietz

Default To Sport or not to Sport revisited

I am looking a used A4's ( tqm ), and reading the A4.org forums nightly. I have been taking everything to heart about what everyone has said about the sport package. However, I couldn't find any manual transmissions w/sport. Today I found a '97 w/25K mi. Only options are Sport package ( including seats ), plus a new set of Yoko's on sport rims.

Last month I found a '98 tqm 18K mi., dealer still has it but doesn't seem to want to deal. This one doesn't have sport but has the convenience package, ( I really like the moonroof ), the cold weather package and the Leatherette.

I really like the '98 but am somewhat unwilling to pay what the dealer wants. The convenience package and the Leatherette are big pluses for me.

My question is this, does anyone know exactly what makes up the "Sport Suspension?" Is it just shocks, swaybars & springs that I can duplicate from recyclers or after market, or is there more? I know about the wheels, but I am looking forward to having a nice set for snow tires if I don't get sport.

I don't seem to have the same level of disposable income that some of you org'ers have so I have to do this on a budget, otherwise I would have a 99.5 already or a MY 2000 on order w/carorder.

Opinions?
Old 09-03-1999, 07:29 AM
Mark K

Default Re: To Sport or not to Sport revisited

The sport suspension includes all of what you said, shocks, swaybars, springs, 7 spoke wheels and high performance tires. It's also 20 mm lower than stock. Many will agree that it's the best deal you can get for the price you pay. If you're going to change the suspension and get new wheels, then ofcourse, why bother getting the sport package.

But since you said you're on a limited budget, I highly recommend you get it. The ride is great and very little body roll on turns. Many here will agree that it's one of the best deals you can get as a factory upgrade.
Old 09-03-1999, 12:34 PM
jeff

I agree -- the Sport Pkg is a great deal, why mess with aftermarket when factory is so cheap?
Old 09-03-1999, 06:29 PM
JDietz

Default Re: To Sport or not to Sport revisited, Thanks...

If I end up getting a 1.8TQM w/o sport, I have decided to add it myself from a recycled A4.

All the post's on this subject have convinced me if not my own driving experience.

Only reason I mention is that if I do it aftermarket/recycled I can do it later, in pieces, after I have rebuilt my car savings acct. Besides, I like the five spoke 16" wheels ( 2.8 ) much better than the sevens.

Anyway thanks for the input.

JDietz