A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sport package question(kind of rambling)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2000, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport package question(kind of rambling)

My sister is considering buying a new A4. She wants the convience package and I told her she should also get the sport package. She is worried that it will be too stiff(I told her should be a camry then. My A4 has 17" 225/45 with Neuspeed sport springs and bilstein shocks which she considers to stiff. I told her it would be a good comprimise between the stock suspension( which is too soft IMHO) and my car. So sport package owners what do you think? I would not consider her a ethusaist driver but she is buying it for the driving experience so...

She is also considering a Jetta GLX VR6 auto but I am pushing for the manual A4 1.8T sport.

Thanks
Jeff
A4 1.8T plus
Old 03-17-2000, 09:37 AM
LA

Default Just upgraded from a 98.5 non sport to a 2000 sport...

At first it wasn't such a BIG difference, but you start noticing things a little later... If your sister takes those curves pretty hard, go with the sport. If your sister is big on looks, go with sport. If your sister doesn't want to deal with aftermarket ever, go with sport. I'm happy with the sport package, but if what was important to me was a smooth ride, I'd go with stock.
Old 03-17-2000, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simple: Get her to D R I V E both stock and sport.

I happen to agree that the sport suspension is a nice compromise, and an especially nice factory package for the price. I'd never call it stiff, butsomeone else might. Which is why there's no substitute for an interested buyer getting out there and driving both. That's what I did.

Rick
Old 03-17-2000, 10:01 AM

Default I like the sports package

I have a 99 with the sports package and I find the ride to be great both in the city and on highway driving. I had test-driven the non-sports and I found it too soft. The sports package suspension is not terribly stiff.. really quite a nice drive.

The sports package is also a bargain giving you the sports suspension, the steering wheel, and the 16" wheels. It provides better looks and it drives better.

If your sister is into the driving experience then she would probably prefer the sports suspension. Best thing to do is suggest she drive both.

Wayne H.
99 1.8TQMS APR
Old 03-17-2000, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Sport package question(kind of rambling)

I just purchased a 2K 1.8T with the Sport package.

It is just stiff enough for me (I had a '98 Passat prior and it was too squishy)

If that doesn't work, tell her that 10 spoke wheels look great.
Old 03-17-2000, 10:08 AM

My wife loves our 00 1.8TMSC. The sport package is probably her favorite thing about it. She loves the way it rides.

Bryan T
Old 03-17-2000, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The problem is she lives in Santa Barbara, Cutter has 1 A4

She planning to make a trip to LA to test drive some A4s but right now she cant.
Old 03-17-2000, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look, I don't mean to be bold but your sister has to understand that German cars already have quite a stiff reputation. The underpriced sport package is very neccessary. On my A4, I have the sport package but not the convenience package. Who cares about auto dimming mirrors. And the sunroof- well, where I live in Miami- it gets to HOT to open it anyway!
Old 03-17-2000, 09:08 PM

Default My friend just bought the A4 over the Jetta

since it was only $40/month more for his lease over a GLS, not even a GLX. The residual for the A4 is higher than the Jetta.

I love my sport suspension.
Old 03-18-2000, 07:37 AM

Default My wife had the same concern...

but when she drove them back to back she agreed that the sport package was not too stiff (whew!). Compared to your A4 with 17" wheels and Bilstein sports, the sport package will have a much better ride, I'd guess.

Quick Reply: Sport package question(kind of rambling)