A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sport steering wheel shifting buttons...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1999, 03:21 PM
Almost there...

Default Sport steering wheel shifting buttons...

Anyone have an opinion on the shifting buttons that come on the sport steering wheel with tiptronic?

It seems kind of like a novelty that would lose its appeal, maybe even become annoying, preety quickly.

I'm almost ready to order and just wanted to see what people's experiences have been.
Old 11-08-1999, 04:12 PM
Andrew

Default Re: Sport steering wheel shifting buttons...

the buttons, although a little gimmicky, are actually quite helpful. if you use tiptronic alot, which i most certainly do, its nice to not have to reach down all the time. it sounds stupid, but there are times when you've got something in your hand and its hard to use the shifter. this, plus the fact that the sport steering wheel is one of the best looking steering wheels i've ever seen, is what sold me
Old 11-08-1999, 05:36 PM
TobyK

Default I'll keep 'um

I love the feel of the sport steering wheel. I seldom use the buttons around town, but when I come down the mountains on I-70 outside of Denver, I really like having both hands on the wheel and being able to downshift at will.
Old 11-08-1999, 05:40 PM
tom

they're only bad when turning.
Old 11-08-1999, 06:42 PM
Get Sport!

If you don't like them, you don't need to use them... but it's nice to have the option.
Old 11-08-1999, 09:03 PM
Christopher Lloyd

I think they're awesome. I use them all the time.
Old 11-09-1999, 03:48 AM
Al Pollack

Default I like them......................................

If i'm accelerating onto a roadway and the roadway is straight, i'll use the buttons. My usage - 50% tip mode, 50% auto mode. By the way, you don't sound that happy about the tip (stressing over buttons). Are you sure you want a tip?? Have you tested a manual, yet?? Maybe you should.

Al
99.5 1.8tqtsc
Old 11-09-1999, 04:38 AM
jim in wnys

What annoys me are those grip nubs on the sport steering wheel.
Old 11-09-1999, 06:03 AM
F Brault

Default Re: Sport steering wheel shifting buttons...

At first I loved them and I may go back to them, but I am now using manual mode virtually all the time and use the shift lever. It is partly because of the fact that in the city the buttons are hard to use because you are making a lot of sharp turns. Also, I don't like the feel of the buttons that much. However, on the road it is nice to be able to shift and keep your hands on the wheel.

The only negative , other than taking your hands off the wheel, to using the shift lever is that when you go back to auto there is a danger of forgetting and shifting into neutral. With the buttons if you press one while in auto it simply does not function.

Frank B
Old 11-09-1999, 07:30 AM
david (in Seattle)

they light up at night when shifted into tiptronic mode...novelty - yes. Still usefull!

Quick Reply: Sport steering wheel shifting buttons...