A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sport suspension or no sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2000, 04:43 PM
Perplexed

Default Sport suspension or no sport suspension?

The wife and I are about to buy our first Audi, the A4 2.8. We need automatic transmission and, because the wife drives to work in cold weather, want Quattro. I'm trading up from a Maxima SE and want the sport suspension. With the added weight of auto transmission and Quattro, does it make sense to get a tighter suspension and sacrifice smoothness of ride when the car won't be that quick anyway?
Old 02-13-2000, 05:22 PM
Jake

Default Re: Sport suspension or no sport suspension?

That's a personal decission you need to make yourself. Drive them both and decide. I bought my Avant w/sport from a guy who liked driving it, but was selling it because he said it hurt his butt on long drives. He had an A-8 on order, that should fix his butt! Also, one other thing to concider, the sport susspension sits a little lower than the std. if that is a factor for your use.

Jake
Old 02-13-2000, 05:38 PM
DaveL

Default IMO the stock A4 suspension handles better than the MaxSE so, either one will be an improvement.

Like Jake says, test drive both and decide.

I have the sport suspension and think that it is the best compromise of any suspension I've ever driven. Great handling without an overly uncomfortable ride. It's also a bargain option, as is quattro.
Old 02-13-2000, 06:48 PM
BDW

Default I came from a Max SE ...

to my '99 1.8Tqms. Either A4 suspension is superior to the Nissan, and the sport package isn't that much firmer but truly handles quite a bit flatter in the turns. I think it's a more enjoyable driving experience with the sport package, even though your 2.8 with Quattro and Tip WILL be pokey compared to your Maxima. The Audi 30V is a nice smooth engine but it just lacks the power and fun of the one you are trading in. However, the A4 is far better in every other conceivable way (except backseat room!), so you're still getting a better car despite the engine situation.

My stock 1.8T was slow compared to my Maxima 5-speed, too, until I chipped it. Not so anymore!

BDW
Old 02-13-2000, 07:00 PM
Bisport suspension

Default I've had both & like both but

I'd say on scale from 1-10, 10 being most comfortable ie the non-sport & 1-10 scale of fun around the turns ie a 10 for sport susp.
Non-Sport=comfort10+Fun5=15
Sport=Fun10+comfort7=17
Not to mention what you get for the price with the sport susp, 16"wheels & tires, shocks, springs, & sway bars its a steal, cost me alot more to retrofit.
Old 02-13-2000, 07:18 PM
BillG

Default Also don't forget these other items... (more)

Also included with the sport package are the sport wheels (10-spoke design) vs the standard 5-spoke wheels. Lots of folks on this forum prefer the 5-spoke design that comes standard on the 2.8 (and there are plenty like the 10-spokers also). The sports package also includes the heavenly 3-spoke sport steering wheel. Even if you opt out of the sport package I would recommend that you at least consider investing in the optional sport steering wheel. Just my thoughts of course. Enjoy the new A4 whichever way you decide to option it out.

All the best,
...BillG
Old 02-13-2000, 07:21 PM
BillG

Good thoughts, but don't forget that 2.8 comes standard with 16'' wheels.
Old 02-14-2000, 05:24 AM
Kevin D

Default Re: Drive both and decide, however

I liked the sport package handling MUCH better than the standard. I have had the sport package now for a year and 25K miles and in Boston I do not find it too harsh over frost heaves, I think it really smooth, but drive both. Good luck and enjoy
Old 02-14-2000, 05:51 AM
Bonnie

Default Re: Sport suspension or no sport suspension?

I chose to keep the stock suspension for a few reasons.

1. I didn't see much difference between the sports suspension and stock suspension.
2. Getting the sport suspension would mean getting snow tires for the winter. I didn't want the expense, nor did I have a place to store the extra unused tires in the winter and spring.
3. The sport tires wear much faster than the regular tires, causing you the expense of buying tires more frequently than with the all season tires that come with the stock suspension.
4. I felt that since my husband and I are not overly aggressive drivers, giving up the comfort of the stock suspension would be too great a sacrifice on a daily basis.
5. Got the sports steering wheel as an option (A must have whichever way you go).
6. Because of the lower stance the sports suspension gives, it would be a problem in deep snow. I already experienced problems in the big snow storm we had a few weeks ago because of ground clearance. If the car were any lower, I don't think I would be a happy camper.
7. Feel the stock suspension is better than any suspension of any car I have ever owned, including my Prelude. A great balance of ride comfort and performance.
8. Do not particularly care for the sports wheel covers. Like the 5 spokes much better. This would have caused another extra expense for us to replace the sports wheel covers.

With everything written above, the "bargain" of the sports suspension would not have been a bargain at all to us. This is an enthusiast's forum, and most of the people on the forum opted for the sports suspension. Although I consider myself an enthusiast of sorts, I am giving you an opinion from the average enthusiast, not the dedictated one.

Bonnie
'00 2.8 QTX
Old 02-14-2000, 07:53 AM
ReyHey

96'Maxima SE, traded in for 00'A4qms, GAIC, Gone german now!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sport suspension or no sport suspension?