A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

SPORT VS NON-SPORT -- opinions please (many questions))

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-1999, 08:31 AM
minnie audi

Default SPORT VS NON-SPORT -- opinions please (many questions))

the sport seems to ride much higher than the non-sport even though I believe it is supposed to be lower?? what's with that??

Is the sport preferable to a non-sport with $600 of aftermarket work done? (assuming you order the awesome sport wheel/shifter with the non-sport car)

Is the sport by itself enough to deliver the goods with a chipped car?
Old 12-24-1999, 08:56 AM
BDW

Default A few answers ...

Sport package is 20 mm lower than non-sport. It is slightly firmer (but not much) and in my opinion corners noticeably flatter. The sport package ride is a super compromise between ride and handling for most "enthusiastic" drivers.

I don't think you can beat it as a value, seeing as how you get the 16" wheels as part of the deal. Unless you REALLY want the car lowered and very firm riding with an aftermarket suspension set-up, I think sport is the way to go. You'll have to spend significantly more (based on what I've read here) than the sport package price to do that. But if you have visions of huge wheels and the car hunkered way down and have a couple thousand to spend on upgrades, forget the sport pack and don't waste your money.

Yes, the sport package is totally adequate for a chipped car. In fact, with a 1 bar chip the engine can finally deliver the goods and be up to the performance standards of the suspension.

BDW '99 1.8Tqms (Wett, K&N)
Old 12-24-1999, 12:34 PM
Wesley Walls

I love the sports suspension...great perfomer...good ride.
Old 12-24-1999, 12:56 PM
MitchC

Also do a search on "sport suspension" for TONS of info on your question
Old 12-24-1999, 03:11 PM
DaveL

Default It depends on your personal preferences...I went from non-sport to aftermarket to OEM sport (more)

I started out with the "97 sport package which did NOT include an upgrade suspension (just steering wheel, seats, and 16in 5 spokes). I upgraded to Eibach Pro-Kits with Koni Sport shocks and 17 inch Borbet Type-Ts. The car looked *awesome*...see link.

The ride was definitely firm and it handled great. The problem I had was that the drop was so low that I was bottoming out too often on the awful Boston area roads. I was always anticipating the next bump hoping it wouldn't hit. This did not lead to a pleasant driving experience to have to worry about it every minute.

I sold the setup and switched to the OEM sport springs, shocks, AND sway bars. It was a costly mistake (live and learn), but now I am VERY happy with the car. I get improved ride and handling without the worries of undercarriage damage. It's the best compromise for me.

Before you make a decision, you should try to find someone with an aftermarket set up and take a ride.

BTW...I have a Wett 1.0 Bar chip and the suspension is more than adequate for the added power.

Dave<ul><li><a href="http://131.107.68.28/a4.org/registry/details.asp?car=161">My Car</a></li></ul>