A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

sportspackage-dunlops in snow???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 12:25 PM
chrisc

Default sportspackage-dunlops in snow???

just wondering if anyone has been caught in the snow/or have had any experiences with the sports-package dunlops plus quattro in the snow? thanks.
Old 11-22-1999, 12:42 PM
Please don't endanger me or my family.

Discussed ALOT previously (archives). Think bowling ball, cue ball, hockey puck. Get the picture?
Old 11-22-1999, 12:49 PM
David Hess

Default Don't want to get caught with the Dunlops in snow!

You may make it through the winter with the Dunlops but your chances decrease dramatically. If you travel in snow often, I would recommend snow tires like the Michelin Pilot Alpines or if you may travel in snow, a good all season tire like the Michelin Pilot Z4s. I just replaced the Z4s with the Alpines for the winter. Compared to the Dunlops both tires will lose some handling in the dry. The Alpines are quieter than I thought. Almost like the Z4s. Haven't driven them in snow. Z4s are good for snow, but mine don't have much tread left. Unless you want to pay your insurance deductible and possibly total your car or lose yours or others lives, I recommend at least the all seasons. Quattro is a great system for getting you going. Snow tires will benift you most when turning or stopping.
Don't get over confident just because you have quattro.
Dave Hess
98.5 2.8QSTip with snow tires.
Old 11-22-1999, 01:47 PM
John K

Default Re: sportspackage-dunlops in snow???

I have a 99.5 2.8 sport w/dun's What is a good and QUIET snow tire? (couldn't find in archives)
Old 11-22-1999, 02:49 PM
DMoore

Default Mutually exclusive requirements.

A good, quiet snow tire is practically an oxymoron. To a considerable extent, snow traction depends on a "high void" tread pattern - a pattern with a lot of open space between the blocks of tread.

Unfortunately, that high void pattern also is noisy. The best tread patterns for low noise, (and dry handling), are "low void" - which works lousy in snow.

So it pretty much boils down to priorities - which is more important, quiet or snow traction? Because you're not likely to find both in one tire.

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 11-22-1999, 02:59 PM
BDW

Default Don't do it ...

bad idea. I got my car last February and got through the winter and a couple of big snows with them, but wouldn't recommend it. The problem is really stopping, not going. They go OK, especially with quattro, but my ABS was kicking in all the time when trying to stop. Pirelli 210 As on the car now and feel much better about impending blizzards.

BDW
Old 11-22-1999, 07:27 PM
ErikR

Please, please do this! We need more pictures in the crash gallery.
Old 11-23-1999, 06:43 AM
Shaun

Default Feel free to banish me, but....

I purchased my 2.8Q with the sport package on Dec. 30 of last year and ran on the stock tires for the duration of the winter. I live in CT and travel about 25 miles to work each day. Granted, I didn't know any better (I won't be testing my fate again this winter), but thanks to Quattro, I made it through some pretty bad driving conditions...