A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Squeak from right rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 05:36 AM
J.Russ

Default Squeak from right rear wheel

My 17-month-old Avant qMS's rear brake started making a high-pitched squeaking noise recently whenever I braked. Being the logical guy I am, I figured it was time to check out the brakes. However, the squeak now seems to be present even when I'm not braking, and stops when I lightly brake. Too weird. I'm going to set up a appointment to have it looked at. In the meantime, anyone got a clue as to what might be causing this? TIA.
Old 11-03-1999, 08:14 AM
GT

Default Re: Squeak from right rear wheel

Is it a fairly quick, periodic squeaking? on-off-on-off every second or so? if so, that I also experience the same problem coming from my driver's side rear wheel area... not sure what's causing it though... some other's have reported same problem... let us know if you find anything out!
Old 11-03-1999, 08:38 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: Squeak from right rear wheel

Had a real bad one on the old Coupe Quattro - turnd out to be a stone caught between the rotor and splash shield.
Old 11-03-1999, 08:47 AM
EricB

Default Exact same symptoms (RR squeaks while driving, stops w/light braking) ---> stuck caliper

I wasn't going to post this until later, but I had the same problem with my car. First trip to the dealer they said the RR caliper was sticking, so they replaced it (but it's not itemized on the invoice???). Got back to work after picking it up, still squeaking. That night I drove next to a bunch of garage doors in my apartment complex and recorded the sound on a small tape recorder. Back to the dealer. The supervising tech takes me for a test drive, noise is obviously associated with the brakes on the rear axle. Stuck caliper --> uneven pad wear and/or warped rotor. They replaced the caliper again (itemized on the invoice this time) and the pads, said the rotor was fine. Guess what? Still squeaks. Not as bad, but still obvious, and, may I say, very embarrassing for a car in the 30 grand range after two trips to the dealer. Time to break out the recorder and head back to the shop. Hope your experience is better. This is the first true disappointment with my A4 I've had in 21,000 miles.

EricB
98 1.8T QMS