A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

squeaking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking brakes

i got my brakes done the other day, only the rear ones tho. they just put new pads on them. so i picked it up from the shop and headed to work on the highway. as i was gettin off the highway my driver side rear brake was pouring out smoke.. i had no idea what was up, so i parked my car at work and called the shop up and they came and towed it back to the shop no charge. they said they put too thick of a pad on there and it was just rubbing. i made sure to note when they changed the pads again to make sure the rotor didnt warp. they said it was fine and i picked it up the next morning. now all i hear is a very high pitched SQUEAK or SQUEAL coming from the brakes, only in the rear. the noise goes away as i add pressure to the brakes. im guessin they just need to get warn in, or they are very cheap brake pads. anyone have ne ideas? thanx josh
Old 08-29-2004, 08:24 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, first of all, what does it mean when they installed a pad that was too thick?

How did they get it in there if it was "too thick"? Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Pads will squeak or squeal if they didn't use an anti-squeal compound. Some pad manufacturers place an anti-squeal compound right on the backing plate, so you can install them without adding any anti-squeal compound yourself. Some pad manufacturers also bevel the leading edge of their pads. I think this might help keep the pad quiet, but I'm not 100% certain.

With that said, we really can't address your question. You probably need to take the information above and consult the shop that did the work.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Well, first of all, what does it mean when they installed a pad that was too thick?

what i mean by to thick of a pad was... the pad they put on was so thick that the piston wasnt even being pushed out and the pads were still rubbing.. meaning the brakes were engaged when the pedal wasnt being pushed at all. nweayz the squealing has stopped for now. i jsut think they needed to b warn in. thanxa gain tho.. josh
Old 08-30-2004, 05:26 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, I understand that...

however think about this. If the clearance was so tight that the pad was continuously touching the rotor...how the hell would you get the pad installed? Short answer: you wouldn't.

And if there was enough clearance to install the pad, it wouldn't be touching the rotor continuously, unless there was another problem at hand.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Well, I understand that...

very good point. couldnt answer it tho. thanx for the imput tho. josh