A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stage 3 is on! A few impressions and install observations.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 3 is on! A few impressions and install observations.......

Muahaha........

The stage 3 is on! After about 18 hours worth of work (half the time spent gazing and uttering countless curses), the kit is on.

First of all, the stock turbo support bracket is a BITCH! We ended up just torching the sucker right off. Honestly, that was the only part of the install that sucked ***.

Hmm, what else. Oh yeah, the oil feed line wasn't too much fun, but it didn't require about half a day like the support bracket.

Anyway, on the first crank, it idled fine for about 5 min and then we noticed 1 injector leaking. Took it out, cleaned and reinstalled. Flawless.
The kit runs flawlessly on the first try! We even installed the n75 the right way.

The only thing that took some creativity is the "EGR to pollution pump" metal tubing found on DBW cars. We eventually fanagled it around behind the compressor housing and out of the way.

Drives great, the stock clutch slipped for a bit and then finally took hold. Holds like a champ.....for now. Boost holds at around 20-21. I got a huge spike that maxed the guage at 25 and the car stuttered....I assume that was the throttle plate closing. Anyway, it only did it the first time I fully got on the car in 5th gear. ECU adapted and now its good to go.

Impressions:

The car is pretty quick. A bit unassuming, you have to watch the speedo to really get a sense of how fast you are accelerating. Its that smooth. Boost comes up to about 5 lbs very quickly and then maintains that until around 2700 rpms where it starts to build boost fairly rapidly. The extra lag doesn't bother me at all, still as easy to lug around at 2k rpms like before, there's just a much bigger suprise waiting at 3 grand
The car pulls effortlessly to extremely illegal speeds, its so refreshing to have power all the way to redline instead of the anemic 5k+ rpm feel of the k03. I need bigger brakes!

I LOVE the way the turbo sounds. Its very quiet under about 10 lbs of boost, but over that the sucker just sings. Beautiful. No more radio for me!

Oh yeah, Vagged the car and timing looks great (I'm not pulling any).....no codes either.

I still can't believe we actually put it in right on the first try
Old 11-15-2002, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm confused..i thoguht you had a 2001?

Your right about having to watch the speedo (from my joyride with Matt and especially my seat tiem in a friend's stage 3)...the kit is so smooth you sometimes don't realize how fast you are going. The tach get's to redline so fast you have to actually watch it. Enjoy.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another lucky f-er congrats on the install .......
Old 11-15-2002, 07:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Congrats Greyson - welcome. = )
Old 11-15-2002, 07:50 AM

Default hahahaa. congrats.

my first startup attempt resulted in a oil geyser out the top of the turbo. few hundred miles later the intake hose popped off, few thousand miles later resulted in a burst coolant return line.

all were obviously user error. i've had nary a problem since.

<i>I LOVE the way the turbo sounds. Its very quiet under about 10 lbs of boost, but over that the sucker just sings. Beautiful. </i>

more like a screaming banshee if you ask me. hehe. now you have to pump some race fuel into her.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:52 AM

Default congrats

now you must go kill some ricers as your initiation. it's the passage of rights for all the big turbo guys.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congrats! Nice to hear you had a relatively smooth install!

How many peeps helped you work on it?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:20 AM

Welcome to the club!!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anywhere from 4 to 6......concerted effort, that is why I was amazed nothing was overlooked =)......

that said, every one of us that worked on it has a turbo car and has worked on them extensively. I was glad for the help.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haha, I just pulled a fly-by on a slammed yellow protoge 5.....the guy was eyeing me...

hard with amazement at the next light. GOD I LOVE THIS KIT! =)

Quick Reply: Stage 3 is on! A few impressions and install observations.......