A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Started with a bad waterpump now I'm thinking about pulling the motor and rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started with a bad waterpump now I'm thinking about pulling the motor and rebuilding

So my good friend comes to me knowing my work style and fondness for my BMW's and says "Hey man, my water pump is shot you wanna do the replacement for me?" I say sure I have no Audi experience but German cars are similarly over engineered, I'm your huckleberry. For reference this is a 1998 Audi a4 2.8 AWD (I believe it to be a 12v). So I come on here, get the basics, and set to putting the front into service position. We triggered the TB kit w/ water pump and a set of valve cover gaskets. Now once I get it all open where I can see everything I become aware of the several other oil leaks it has going on. Namely Cam seals, upper pan gasket, and the Oil pump cover gasket. So I'm looking at all this and I figure I might be better off to pull the motor, tear it down, throw a fresh set of hash marks on the cylinder walls and rebuild it all. As I don't have the ability to clean it and run it to determine the sources of all the leaks, the unit has SOLID compression, and there is no coolant in the oil. Removing the heads and pistons does not seem to be necessary, However the one thing I love about fishin with hand grenades is you know your gonna eat fish! This being my buddies car I want to make sure I get everything that really should be done. While making sure I miss nothing, and not hitting him for redundant or unnecessary parts. I'm aware I will need a few Audi specific tools to do this job as well, I' like to know what those are specifically. I'd also like to get a good set of timing setup instructions to make sure I get that as perfect as can be done! I thank all of you who helped me get this far and all those who will throw in the great tips and advice that I'm sure will come! Thanks in advance!

Dave 2

P.S. Anybody locally want to rent me the tools I'd be glad to go that route. Just throwing that out there in case some of you are local to me.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

go to the tech articles in FAQ section. There are several write-ups on timing belt replacement along with replacing all seals.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RobQ
You must have a lot of time on your hands.

go to the tech articles in FAQ section. There are several write-ups on timing belt replacement along with replacing all seals.
It would appear that I don't have access to that or the wiki pages either.. When I go there the page is effectively blank..