A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

stealership views/attitudes on Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealership views/attitudes on Control Arms?

I'm debating on setting up an appointment w/ the stealership to have the sqeaks and creaks checked out on my '99.5(65k)that has the AA waranty. They are coming from the rear only and only during slow speeds going over speed bumps or backing out from inclinded driveways. Do they usually give you the "that is normal" routine or do they actually address it seriously? I know all stealerships vary on customer service and was just wondering what the consensus was on this. tia
Old 10-03-2003, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Funny you ask....

I just came home from the dealer. I went to schedule an oil change (they are pretty cheap there) and decided to ask about the control arms deal. I've had a squeak for about a year now and the 1st time I asked about it they said: it's the bushing, which is a wear-and-tear item and is not covered by AA. Weel, just a couple weeks ago I learned that there are several people who had control arms replaced under AA in this forum - some of them more than once. So this time the conversation went kinda like this:

me: I have a question about the control arms. I know mine are bad but I was told last time - I don't know who I talked to - that they aren't covered by AA. Well, I talked to a couple of guys who had it done under AA...
service guy: That's weird, as far as I know they should be covered. Are they squeaking?
me: yup!
service guy: Alright, we'll replace them when you bring the car in next week.

So I leave thinking "sweet, I don't have to spend a fortune to fix that **** anymore" and at the same time felling like "why the hell didn't they tell me that the 1st time I asked about it??? I would have had this fixed a year ago!!!"

anyways, sorry for the long rant. but that's my story!
Old 10-03-2003, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're definatly not alone....

I recently purchased my 98.5 2.8Q from a non-audi dealership. Before I bought the car I noticed the "squeaks an creaks", and they told they would have it looked at by an audi dealer, so I went ahead and bought the car. I get it back from the audi dealer and they tell me its common and that ultimately they will need to be replaced, but not right now. The dealership where I bought the car from told me they wouldn't pay to have them replaced and to just turn up my radio so I can't hear it(not what I wanted to hear). Luckily I purchased an extended warranty, which covers the control arms "if they become unsafe", so I decided I was wasting my time trying to get the original dealership to replace them. I sprayed every joint with grease and the noise has gone away for now(3 months so far). I plan to get them replaced before the warranty runs out, but i'm happy for now.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 PM

I had the four lowers replaced under Warranty - Told them the front end felt loose at speed.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: stealership views/attitudes on Control Arms?

brought my '99 in for noise from the front. I knew it was control arms right away told dealership that but they said "we will determine that" sure enough it was the control arm. Luckily I have the AA warranty and they went ahead and replaced all of my front control arms for just the $50 deductible. They wanted to know how i was able to diagnose the car without putting it on a lift. I just laughed.