A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stealth sub install location...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth sub install location...

Already went all out and tore out the factory Bose system due to two blown rear deck speakers, and never had subs installed. I really don't want a big box in my trunk, so I guess I'm looking for smart places to mount subs.

I'm not all that picky about sound quality, and I know there are a few shallow mount subs (3" mount depth) that might fit in some interesting places...

My thought, and I don't know if its possible even with the shallow subs, was 2x 10" under the rear seats. I don't know if they would clear, and I'm not exactly sure what runs under the rear seat, but I think it would be pretty awesome if possible. Actually under the seat, or mounted in the kickboard underneath the seats.

Anyone have any other ideas? Somewhere in the trunk that doesn't require a huge box? I'd like to still be able to put a few sets of golf clubs in there if necessary TIA
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sub at all FTW.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Default I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting this....

for my Audi and Volkswagen<ul><li><a href="http://www.thebuttkicker.com/SSW_home.html">http://www.thebuttkicker.com/SSW_home.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm interesting idea/theory. dunno how would improve sound though..
Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM

Default I would take a better look at that.

I'm skeptical but IMO there is no possible way that thing could accurately produce the correct vibrations to match any frequency/wavelength of music. Too many unknown wariables like the padding of the seat....seat springs....Sounds like an interesting idea but the bones of the inner ear(which vibrate to produce what we know as "sound") are so sensitive.....It would take a lot of convincing/tequila shots for me to buy one. I just cannot see that working very well at all.

Thats my .02cents.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check out

The Infinity Basslink. It's a compact sub/amp combo that won't take too much trunk space. It's very easy to install. Not very expensive either. Putting subs under your rear seat will sound TERRIBLE, even if you get them to fit (they won't fit)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I was in the same situation as you...

Years ago I had removed my rear deck speakers and installed the JL Audio Stealthbox. Never liked the Stealthbox too much, and it compromised the height of the trunk. So I got rid of it and got a 12" Kicker in a box. I got it used from a friend, so it was cheap.

I am often carrying stuff in my trunk, so the sub would often stay on a shelf in my garage. So eventually I sold it and downgraded to a 10" sub.

However even the 10" still sits on that shelf in my garage fairly often.

If you go over to the Audio forum you'll get more responses. But one option that was recommended to me was a pair of 6" subs in the rear deck. I forget the brand, but several people liked them. I didn't think that a 6" sub would have enough bass to keep me happy. But I recently installed new rear deck speakers, and their bass is more than adequate. I have to assume that dedicated subwoofers would still sound good, even in that size.

Check out the Audio forum and you'll get better responses.

Good luck!
-- Peter
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Stock audio system FTL
Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check this out.

Follow the linky and look at the some of the setups. The one second from the bottom is the most practical.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/canada/msgs/89218.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/canada/msgs/89218.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM

JL Audio makes a 6" mini sub.

Quick Reply: Stealth sub install location...