A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stebro Exhaust..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-1998, 08:20 PM
Chris

Default Stebro Exhaust..need advice

I'm recieving my 99 1.8Tqms in a few weeks..I have been looking for a good stainless steel cat-back for it but have only come up with ones from Scorpion (TAP), and Neuspeed and HKS Klasse....I just recently found out about Stebro..they do exhausts for Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, Fiat..and Audi! Has anyone heard of them or does anyone have there product? They say it is only $350 for the full Cat-back Stainless steel! Compare that to like over $800 for the scorpion! Any comments would be greatly appreciated ...thanks.<p>Chris
Old 11-13-1998, 05:07 AM
Cris

Default Re: Stebro Exhaust..need advice

I've heard good things about Stebro (Candian company) .. I think GregK has it on his Avant. He posted some pics and impressions, but I think they are lost in the archives somewhere. Their price is ~ $650US for the full cat-back system. The $350 only covers the back end - resonator back. As for HKS Klasse.. they have a nice muffler (S-S), but the pipes are aluminized steel (bummer). <p>Cris<br>
Old 11-13-1998, 07:26 AM
KeremD

After my bad experience with Brullen, I was also looking to choose between HKS and Stebro. I know HKS is alimunized steel except for the muffler, but what I heard from many people is that the manufacturing quality is amazing. I did not here anyone having problem with the alun=minized steel so far. What I am going to do is to protecet it from the salt , I am gonna wash it with pressure water every week. ( I do not know waht they are called, the ones in Hoffman self car wash). HKS is cheaper than Stebro and both are good systems. I went with HKS, I am going to give my feed back next week with pics and wave files. My system is going to be installed Monday I hope.
Old 11-13-1998, 08:02 AM
Cris

Yeah, an initial impression would be great! I, too, have read great reviews and I have great expectation for HKS. I live in western NY, but my car will be tucked away in the garage most of the winter. The salt may not get the aluminized steel, but I've read that the exhaust/carbon/sulfur may cause rust themselves! <br>All my friends recommand putting the extra money up front and go stainless.<p>Cris
Old 11-13-1998, 08:17 AM
Ali B

Default I bought Stebro exhausts for my Maserati 228 ...

Actually I just sold my car yesterday, but I got the Stebro mufflers (2 of them) with the exhaust headers about a year ago. The price was about $120 a piece cheaper than stock units from MIE. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with stock mufflers because the car sounded louder (and sportier) afterwards, but I didn't care for it. They claim that their system is less restrictive than than the stock unit and gives you an extra couple of hp's. I couldn't tell the difference. The exhausts came with nice polished tips. Overall, I would say that they are a good and reputable company.
Old 11-13-1998, 08:30 AM
ErikR

Default Re:HKS rust

I had the hks turbo aluminized setup on my last car. (No experience with stebro.) I live in a moderate salt state (MT), not bad like the midwest. The hks setup rusted out completely in two years. It failed at each joint first, then the ends of the muffler. The "stainless" tip stayed shiny for about 6 months, then rusted!!<p>After two years I only had the resonator left. Yecchh. That said, it gave great boost and was very quiet. It was mandrel bent smoothly with no restrictions, not like some brullens I've seen.<p>I'm dreading this myself, because the stock setup is rusting on my car already (98.5.1).
Old 11-13-1998, 09:39 AM
Greg K

Default Here are the Photos of the Stebro on my 2.8 30v

I did a posting a while back as Chis points out - here are the photos.<br>It is a great system by the way.<br>GK<br>1998.5 2.8 30v Q 5spd
Old 11-13-1998, 09:43 AM
Greg K

Default Here are the Photos of the Stebro on my 2.8 30v

I did a posting a while back as Chis points out - here are the photos.<br>It is a great system by the way.<br>GK<br>1998.5 2.8 30v Q 5spd