A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Steering rack or pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack or pump?

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum , and this is my first post. I have been reading post and can't find an answer to my problem and hope someone can help me figure out what is going on .

I have an audi A4 1.8T Quattro that I love , but I spent sevenral thousands dollars in repair ...clutch, control arms, electrical problems...

Now I do have a power steering problem . At first it was noisy when I was turning the wheel but now its not noisy anymore but not working anymore either. Even worst than that , I can't barely turn the wheel as there is lot of restriction (more than if I had no power steering... .

There is a new noise (since its gone) and it looks like its the power steering fluid boiling in the container ...There are some bubble there for sure after riding as I opened it and could see some ...

Car is almost undrivable ...I am a veterinarian student and IM having my finals these days...(if you have pet problem , I will be pleased to help )

I called at the Audi dealer and they charge 1000$ + installation to change the steering rack. But I want ot be sure this is the problem first ...

I could do this repair myself but I need to drive 10 hrs to go back home in two weeks...Im wondering if I can do it or if the steering could cause further problem?? ...also do you guys think its the pump or the steering rack? ...THere is no oil leak, no more power steering , its harder than normal (without power steering) and has bubble in the fluid container (does not miss fluid ) ...

Please help me

Have a good day

Pier
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

more then likely it is the pump, you can find a pump on ebay or from a salvage yard for $35-50 and change it fairly easily with minimal tools.
generally when the rack goes it leaks badly, and I have seen several pumps fail although I am not sure I have seen one quit pumping, but if it was making noise for some time it could.
the pump is held on my 4 allen bolts it is located on the drivers side bottom corner behind the bumper. you can get to it from underneath the car.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering rack or pump?

Originally Posted by jschick
more then likely it is the pump, you can find a pump on ebay or from a salvage yard for $35-50 and change it fairly easily with minimal tools.
generally when the rack goes it leaks badly, and I have seen several pumps fail although I am not sure I have seen one quit pumping, but if it was making noise for some time it could.
the pump is held on my 4 allen bolts it is located on the drivers side bottom corner behind the bumper. you can get to it from underneath the car.
It is extremely important that if the pump has indeed failed, that the system be completely drained and flushed to remove metal particles prior to installation of a replacement pump or the steering rack will certainly fail within a very short time.

The fluid is VW/Audi specification G 002 000. CHF 11S is available from several Internet sources, or you can purchase fluid from an Audi dealership.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I will try to change the pump first...

If I want to make sure there are not any metal part or anything still in the system , is there a special way to do it? or If I just remove the pump. Turn the steering on both side couple of time so all the oil goes out ?

Thanks for helping guys ...Honestly if its only the pump I will be more than happy ...Steering rack is a longer and more difficult job I think...and more $$$
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar issue with my steering late last year. Very hard steering,almost impossible if vehicle is not moving, power steering oil looked like it was 'boiling' in the resevoir. We changed the pump and bled the system, problem remained. We finaly traced the problem to a 1/4" seration in the rubber hose that goes to the pump from the reservoir. A bit of rubber had peeled off exposing the threads embedded in the rubber. Essentially, a lot of air was being sucked into the steering system through the seration in the hose whenever the pump was working, hence the 'boiling/bubbling' effect in the resevoir. Changed the hose, flushed and changed the oil. Problem solved. My point is that you may have some point in the steering system where air is being sucked in.

I almost needlessly change my rack. BTW mine is a 2000 A4 V6.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have new and re-manufactured pumps available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

We also carry the correct fluid located below as well.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info ...I will have a look for this ...I already purchased the pump ...hope it was not useless....

Hoses, are they easy to see from under the car ?

Thanks

Pier
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pier_luque@hotmail.com
Thanks for the info ...I will have a look for this ...I already purchased the pump ...hope it was not useless....

Hoses, are they easy to see from under the car ?

Thanks

Pier
Honestly , the way your discribe your problem with your A4 .., I think this is exactly what I have ...Steering is almost impossible to turn if car is not mooving, fluid boiling ...I will try to lift the car today and keep you posted on this one ...Thanks a lot for information
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pier_luque@hotmail.com
Honestly , the way your discribe your problem with your A4 .., I think this is exactly what I have ...Steering is almost impossible to turn if car is not mooving, fluid boiling ...I will try to lift the car today and keep you posted on this one ...Thanks a lot for information
I lifted the car and could not see oil leaking ,there was alittle bit of it on the pump but not much and it was dry with dirt covering it ....I also realized that I was missing some oil on the reservoir (last week it was full)...

Ordered a new pump and fluid, I really hope its not the steering rack ...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine did not leak either because the damage was to the suction hose (short rubber hose connected directly to the pump)and it was a seration not a clean cut all the way through the rubber. Hence there was an air sucking effect instead of a leakage whenever the pump was on.

Quick Reply: Steering rack or pump?