A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stereo install 99% done....Only problem is it won't work! Who can help me analzye this? With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acutally socrates no....

line converters do alot, and there are alot of them. You might not be using the right one. Some convert signals for domestic equipment (like stereos), others setup signals for steps (up or down) for use with custom speakers. The one you may be working with may be the wrong type, or it could be of limited sensitivity, meaning the output of the stock amp is either too high or too low for it to handle. Impedence is also the otehr issue.

Do this, bypass the line converter and see what you get. If it's any sound, that's your problem.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Allright...here's my update!

Plugged portable cd player in....amp and sub combo kicks out MUCHO bass...works great

Hooked multimeter up to output of line converter on AC Voltage...don't get a signal...so therefore is my problem.

The line converter i got from a Tweeter etc. and it has instructions which say to hook speaker wires (up to 55 watts) up to it, ground it, and then run RCA outs to your amplifier...so it HAS to be the right thing...no?

Sounds to me like my wire taps might not be good....but it's AWFUL to get back there and get at them!

Wonder how i can test them....

Oh yeah, and with portable cd player hooked up, and bass going, the trunk rattles like there's NO TOMORROW! What gives? i thought audi's might be built tighter than that! sounds like it's rattling right underneat the trunk...
Old 04-04-2002, 04:16 PM

woohoo....Omidius is the winner me thinks!!
Old 04-04-2002, 04:18 PM

he's correct about no signal being present...but i don't agree about wrong type of line converter...
Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM

Default Line converter DOESNT give off AC power!!!....

You won't be able to pick up anything with a multimeter expect POWER going to the amp not Audio leads. So ditch it now!!!

If you hooked in a portable CD player it means that YES, your problem is the line converter just as I suspected. Your taps might also be suspect, but just to be sure, turn down the xtant amp level (if you can) and run a lead past the line converter directly to the amp-don't go through the line converter. If you get ANY SOUND whatsoever that means the line converter is your problem. If you get NO SOUND that means your tap is no good try again.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:23 PM

Default it might not be the wrong type, it might just be the wrong

operating environment. It's like it needs Win98 se to operate and your loading it onto 3.11. It could be that the level is so low that when it is run through it drops it to levels unheard or unable to be picked up by the mosfet circuit in the amp.

.30mw signal ---> line drops to .05mw--> TOO LOW
Old 04-04-2002, 04:24 PM

Default allright...but how can i "bypass" the line converter??

all i have is RCA inputs on the xtant

and all i have in the trunk is speaker-level signals

i'm not following
Old 04-04-2002, 04:25 PM

Default hmmm...that would suck...guess i'll have to verify my taps first....

which means i'll have to take the STUPID trunk apart to get to the stock amp again....grrr..

oh well
Old 04-04-2002, 04:28 PM

Default You will need to patch an RCA cable into the line....

That means you'll need to either pick up or find a RCA cable that you have to splice and wire into the combination. Each Rca lead has a positive and a negative. The positive is in the middle of the cable sheilded with the negative. cut the RCA cable (I'm guessing stereo) in half, strip the wire of plastic protection, take the sheilding (negative) and work it into a useable lead similar to the speaker wire. Take the positive (inner one) and work that into a useable lead. Make sure to separate the two leads as they should NOT touch. Now connect.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:30 PM

and it's not dangerous to do that? won't it overload the amp if not run through a converter?

Quick Reply: Stereo install 99% done....Only problem is it won't work! Who can help me analzye this? With pics!