A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sticky radio knob...need a solution! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-1999, 07:38 PM
HP

Default Sticky radio ****...need a solution! (kinda long)

With the recent heat wave I've noticed the **** on my 99.5 QMS BOSE stereo is tending to stick. If I push the **** in a little it turns fine but when i try to turn it without pushing it in it seems to have a kind of "gooey" resistance...not nearly as smooth as it used to be. It feels like there is some sticky substance on the base of the **** that sits just inside the stereo faceplate, where i can't get to it. I see two possibilities as to how this happenned:<p>1) Something in the stereo has melted due to the insane heat we have been seeing or...<p>2) Either some sticky fluid dropped from a cup placed in the cupholder or i turned the **** with sticky fingers. Now if this were the case you would expect to find the sticky substance also on the part of the **** that sits outside of the stereo, but after examining the **** I found nothing like this. The **** was perfectly clean.<p>So I basically have no idea why my **** is sticking. Has anyone else noticed anything like this before? And if so, what did you do to fix it??<br>
Old 07-07-1999, 11:03 PM
jasyn

Default keep turnin it till it aint sticky no mo :)

most likely reason #2 .. sticky fluid drip from cupholder. i experienced a similar problem with the "upper" air vent selector button. damn sticky now. i just click it a few times when i drive. i certainly dont want THAT button stuck when i'm in tahoe. i know .. not very helpful. <p>no residue on outter part of **** may be b/c **** was 'out' when the sticky stuff solidified. ?<p>can you actually see anything when the **** is fully extended? possibly scrape some of the stickiness out with a sowing needle?? if indeed it is sticky stuff.<p>or just report the problem and have the dealer fix it. <p>99.5 1.8tqms 10days old 1073miles<br>-jasyn