A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Still no heat...hate to bother..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still no heat...hate to bother..

OK, so I love this forum. I have a 1997 A4 Quattro with the V-6. I really enjoy the car, having bought it over the summer. Now it is starting to get cold here over night, and the car has no heat. If you leave the system off for a while, then cut it on, it blows warm for about five seconds, then goes luke warm. I have replaced the thermostat, the water pump, bled the system, flushed the heater core( both hoses are hot), new coolant temp sensor, new expansion tank and a few new hoses. I have read through numerous posts and can not seem to figure out what to do after having done all that I have done. i assume that it is some sort of flap, or vent or something that is not opening...but what, where, how...please help. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

do u have a vag com,run a basic settings on ur flap motors or ck for faults in ac sys,hope that helps
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a similar problem. Check the link out; the guy fixed it @ post 51.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411979
Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by epsilon
I have a similar problem. Check the link out; the guy fixed it @ post 51.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411979
"I fixed the damn thing myself! I spent 4 hours ****ing around with the car on Saturday. I devised a technique for flushing the core where I attached hoses to each side and then attached a 2-liter soda bottle filled 2/3rds full with boiling water and then proceeded to force air and water thru the core back and forth by squeezing the plastic bottles. I gat a whole bunch of **** out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems the Audi shop was content pushing cold water from a garden hose to get things blown out and this is also something I paid dearly not once but 2 times.
So after I refilled with coolant, guess what, no heat. Must not have got all the air out, so I follow the bleed instructions (little bleed hole in upper core hose) and get more air but now heat quits at idle so I bleed some more but no more air. I decide to unfasten expansion chamber and raise it while revving the engine and hear glug, glug, glug. Now I got burn your hand heat!"
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi01a6
do u have a vag com,run a basic settings on ur flap motors or ck for faults in ac sys,hope that helps
with the fear of sounding ignorant...how would I do this?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am going to try to flush it, and bleed it again this weekend...it just cant be this big of a pain in the ***...can it?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dinnc
I am going to try to flush it, and bleed it again this weekend...it just cant be this big of a pain in the ***...can it?
Good luck! I am doing it on Saturday too.

BTW, can anyone help me with a couple of codes?

1. 16500 Coolant temperature sensor-G62 Not a plausible Signal P0116
2. 16688 Cylinder 4 misfire detected P0304

It seems number 1 is a relatively easy fix for the mechanically inclined. I'm going to try that as well. But wonder what to do for the stock radio code. Stealership?

Any input appreciated. Didn't want to start a new thread when the symptoms I have are very similar; no hear-lots of air and terrible gas mileage.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Probably still air in the system, or a small leak where it can't keep enough pressure to pump to the heater core.

Does the heat improve if you rev up the engine?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by epsilon
1. 16500 Coolant temperature sensor-G62 Not a plausible Signal P0116
2. 16688 Cylinder 4 misfire detected P0304

Any input appreciated. Didn't want to start a new thread when the symptoms I have are very similar; no hear-lots of air and terrible gas mileage.
The coolant temp sensor is easy to do.

Error 2 is usually a bad coil pack, assuming you have a 1.8t.

Here is what you need:
New Coolant Temp Sensor - In stock and easy to reaplce

New Coil Pack - In stock and easy to replace
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Probably still air in the system, or a small leak where it can't keep enough pressure to pump to the heater core.

Does the heat improve if you rev up the engine?
No, only when I push the temp. up all the way to 29˚C do I get luke warm air. I've only had the car for 2 weeks and it seems the PO used generic Coolant as the colour in the tank is extremely murky/brown. I will do a flush regardless just to clear things out a bit.

BTW, it's a 96/2.8. Does that change the instructions for coil pack change?

Appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Still no heat...hate to bother..