A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stock air filter vs. aftermarket performance air filter question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-1999, 07:51 PM
JT

Default Stock air filter vs. aftermarket performance air filter question.

OK, the reason the aftermarket air filters provide more performance is b/c they are less restrictive, right? Well, that means they are less of an air filter, right? If that's the case, do they allow small particles to pass through the filter and into your engine? Is the small extra hp worthwhile? Perhaps changing the stock air filter(w/another stock one) more frequently would be a decent alternative? Just wondering. Any comments would be appreciated.<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 01-28-1999, 04:18 AM
George R

Default Re: Stock air filter vs. aftermarket performance air filter question.

My own experience says, don't waste your money on an aftermarket filter. You won't notice any change.
Old 01-28-1999, 07:05 AM
Marcin R.

I disagree...They most likely do not provide the power increase they claim. However, ever since I put in a K&N into my car, the engine runs much smoother. I think it was well worth the few bucks.<p>Marcin R.<br>---<br>'98.5 A4 1.8Tqms
Old 01-28-1999, 07:19 AM
Phil S

Default Re: Power is not the main reason to get a better filter...

Check the archives, several people have posted independent test of the filtration and flow characteristicts of K+N (gauze) and Ram Air(foam) as opposed to paper(stock), and the rest. What the test show is paper is the worst. You may get some HP gain but the main reason to switch is better air flow, better filtering, longer life. In a Turbo the more air you can flow the longer the boost stays up, so HP gains may not go up, but performance will and the car will be more efficiant. My guess is about 5 hp gain, but more important is the way the motor will run and torque gains. If you open up the exaust like a 70m cat back exaust, then a better flowing air filter will become even more usefull.
Old 01-28-1999, 08:24 AM
Jason

Default Is it difficult to put in aftermarket filter and which are the best?

I want to know how difficult it is to add an aftermarket filter to my 2.8 A4.<p>What is the performance gain on these things?<p>Which are the best?<p>Which offer the most performance and air filtration?<p>Where can i buy them?<p>Thanks.
Old 01-28-1999, 08:39 AM
Hans

I felt no difference when i removed the foam filter. I chose to stay stock after trying out the aftermarket one. George is right--stay stock.
Old 01-28-1999, 09:10 AM
STeve S.

Default I disagree also

Coupled with an exhaust change the K&N, RamAir, or Jamex filters can be felt. It is one of those "1+1=3" things. The sum of the whole is more than the sum of the parts.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. Some cars get better gains from K&N filters than others....I say spent the $39 +tax<br>at Imparts.com
Old 01-28-1999, 10:08 AM
Paul N

Default better performance YES, but more power no (more)

I put a K&N filter in my 98.5 2.8 and I think the acceleration is better. However, without actual test it could be my wishful thinking. The one thing I did notice is better performance in the 3500-4000 rpm range. The 30V has a plateau in the power in this area. After putting in the K&N I noticed better perfromance in this zone--its not as slugish--and the car sounds better also. I say its is worth the $39.<p>Paul
Old 01-28-1999, 11:31 AM
Andy Lensink

I agree with Steve...
Old 01-28-1999, 11:54 AM
Phil S

Default Re: " Feelings are not facts, go to the archives and read SAE. test results, foam or gauze beats stock hands down in all cats...nt

nt.