A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

stock chip, no check engine light, put GIAC chip in, check engine light comes on..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock chip, no check engine light, put GIAC chip in, check engine light comes on..

i went to the dealer last week because of the check engine light. I put in the stock chip as per every dealer visit and noticed that the C/E was off. Still had dealer check it out, they said it was a vacuum hose and that it would be replaced. Put my GIAC chip back in and was running fine for about 5 hours. Light comes back on. I figured that they just did a crappy job or mislooked something so I put the stock chip back in to see the dealer. Now the light is off again.

Btw, with the GIAC chip, i am also getting no boost but i am suspecting that its the BPV because it comes on and off. Sometimes im boosting sometimes im not.

Anyone had this problem before?
Old 06-03-2002, 03:49 PM

Default Did you happen to get the info on what DTC was thrown? It is possible an Audi component is

borderline and the chipped ECU places enough demand to make it toss the code. It might also be the chip ... chip dealer close by to check that out?
Old 06-03-2002, 03:51 PM

Default switching chips would also reset the ECU & cause the light to go out

mabye the light just hasnt come back on yet & the problem is still there, some codes take a bit before they pop up as C/E lights
Old 06-03-2002, 04:29 PM

Default Well I would put my money on the bpv. If he puts the stock chip in

place of the giac chip he would also get the same cel if there was problem with socket, he would also bet the EPC light at the same time. I would say that the bpv might be torn, if he has not replaced the stock valve which Audi puts in backwards most of the time then the valve will rip when used at higher boost levels like the chips do. The best thing he can do is just to look at the bpv to see which way it is facing, if the bottom tube is facing the turbo the valve will rip. It does this because the pressure is pushing on both sides of the valve at the same time during boost. When it does that the diaphram can not hold the pressure while the boost from the turbo is pushing on the bottom, this is why the stock valve should always have the boost coming in from the side which also helps push down the valve. This is the #1 cause of the stock valve blowing out.