A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

stock suspension on 2000 A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock suspension on 2000 A4

How does it compare to a VW Jetta IV w/ sport suspension?

If it isn't very good, how much would it cost to upgrade?

I'm looking at buying a used one but don't see many w/ sport suspension.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:01 PM

Default do you have quattro?

obviously, the stock sport suspension is fairly decent. If you want to add bigger wheels, you'll definately need a after market susp., if not it will look like you are 4x4ing
Old 04-13-2002, 07:17 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 17's look okay with the sport package
Old 04-13-2002, 07:34 AM

Default Re: stock suspension on 2000 A4

The general feeling among the more active members here is that the stock non-sport suspension on the B5 (1996-2001) A4 is too soft, and too "lifted," with lots of wheel gap. It does ride very smoothly, however, especially with the stock 15" wheels.

The stock sport suspension has much better ride control, still rides very smoothly, and has a ride height that is either just right or a few clicks too high, depending on who you ask. 17" wheels are about borderline with this setup, and 18" is where the car begins to look rather lifted (generally). Some consider the stock sport suspension to be a bit too soft, and others find it to be a good compromise.

If you get an A4 with non-sport suspension, here are some upgrade options:

Used stock sport springs+shocks: $200 (approx) + 200-300 for installation

Pros: Price, clearance (if you need it), good ride/handling compromise

Cons: Clearance (if you don't want it), a bit soft if you like driving hard

New shocks (e.g., Neuspeed Bilstein)+springs (e.g., H&R sport or H&R Race): $700 + 200-300 installation

Pros: Neuspeed Bilsteins have lower spring perches that adjust to a few fixed points, which is nice; H&R Sport springs lower moderately and Race springs lower agressively; better ride control than stock sport with an increase in stiffness that most find very acceptable

Cons: Cost compared to OEM sport, possibly limiting if none of the spring perch heights are just right for you; quite a bit of work involved in adjusting ride height once installed

Coilovers: 1000-(?) + 200-300 for installation

Pros: Adjustability; most have threaded lower spring perches for very fine control of the ride height within the allowed range (generally around 1.5-3") (edit: this is important because the measurement of the amount lowered is not an exact science, and you may not get the exact drop advertised), and some have adjustable settings for ride compliance; with some makes and models, adjustments can be performed while the shocks are still installed; ride control can be amazing since the springs and shocks are essentially engineered to complement eachother (see cons below, though)

Cons: Cost. Also, there are concerns that the adjustability can pose a problem if not installed properly. Whereas fixed height/firmness setups purportedly maintain the car's balance perfectly, adjustable setups allow for imbalance by their very nature (i.e., the installation may have caused one or more of the corners to support a greater portion of the car's weight than the manufacturer intended). A number of folks have insisted that adjustable coilover suspensions should be professionally corner balanced to ensure that the car handles correctly. Others (myself included) are not as concerned. It would be a good idea to research this here and on other Audi sites if you're thinking about one of these setups.

Keep in mind that regardless of which route you choose, wheels and tires play a huge role in the ride and handling of any car. Also, if you have experience modifying cars, you probably already know that it's better to hold off on an upgrade until you can get the one you really want. It's really expensive to upgrade in steps, especially if you are paying for installation.

Keep your eyes peeled for the occasional great sale.

It's likely that pretty soon you'll be hearing about another possible setup that may appeal to you. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Elder Member

i have sport struts and springs for 2000 and 2001 MY for sale... only 4000 miles on the struts..