A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stoptech (Brakes) Marketing Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech (Brakes) Marketing Help Needed...

Hi all, I'm here at SEMA and we're trying to develop what kits to do next for Stoptech. For those of you who don't know, we've been very sucessful with the Dodge Viper, PT Cruiser (just released) and S4 kits. Our S4 kit includes 332mm by 32mm Patented Aerorotors, which flow over 20% more air than a Brembo or Porsche GT-2 rotor and are of a floating design (eliminates warpage) and feature inconel anti-rattle washers, hats, front teflon extruded stainless steel brake lines, mounting adapters, pads, and ST40 4 piston calipers. These calipers are patent pending and are 3 times as stiff as a Porsche/Brembo "big red," use Porsche style pads, and the differential pistons are sized specifically to the application. In the case of an A4, not a caliper sized for a Porsche master cylinder, sized just for the A4. I can e-mail pics and tech data, or you can see pics of the S4 kit at:
WWW.STRATMOSPHERE.COM
For the A4, we would do one of the following:
$1995. Black ST40 Calipers with a 332x32mm rotor
(same as on our S4 kit, fits 17" rims, including stock S4 rims.") or
$1795. Same as above, but would have 328x28mm rotors and should fit 16" rims.
Either way, red paint is a $200 option and stainless steel rear brake lines will be a $100 option. All prices are retail.
What would the S4 crowd want? Please e-mail me if anyone is interested or can offer some advise to us. I own an S4 and after the TT would like to provide a solution for the rest of the A4 bodied cars.
Many thanks!
Mark Rosenkrantz (Stoptech distributor)
AudiBiTurbo@aol.com
Old 11-02-2000, 07:59 AM
CP

Default Thanks for thinking of us...

I have been impressed at the recent product development for the A4...the cheaper(more reasonably priced) model. Yet unlike some of the luxury/sports car crowd, we A4ers generally look for good deals, while not being able to spend $XXXX.00 on our daily drivers. Personally, I've got my heart set on a BIRA brake kit because it's cheap, of good quality, easy to obtain, and has been tested with good results.

A suggestion on the size I think you should develop. I'd say go for the 17" kit. I say this because most people who are going to spend 2K on a brake kit probably have done many other mods to their car, wheels included. And they probably take the car to the track a few times a year. So a max performance kit for their current setup would suit them. Someone whose car is basically stock, with 16" wheels and a chip, probably won't be able to justify the cost of the kit. I think your market lies with the modifiers and weekend racers, not the general public. Just my opinion.

Good luck...hope this helps you make a decision.
Old 11-02-2000, 08:43 AM
Elder Member

Default I would say that you should use a modular approach(M)

..make a rotor that replaces stock ,and can use stock caliper, that would give an increase(with a pad change) in performance.

Offer a caliper swap that would work with stock rotors and the above rotor.

Offer a larger rotor design that would work with the above calipers by the use of a bracket change.

This way someone could choose the level he wanted to start with(and could afford) and later upgrade in small steps without having to spend a large amount of money at once.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:26 AM

Default I think the cost is really the limiter...

Having fooled with several brake systems, my preference is low initial cost. You can easily make up the volume with a good intro price.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:54 AM

Default I agree...

...Someone may think that getting the whole kit may be overkill and not buy anything. By offering an upgradable system, a potential buyer (like me!) could decide how much of an upgrade is needed for his/her purposes. I don't currently take my car on a track or autocross course, but I would like something that would increase my confidence when I'm taking my car up & down twisty mountain roads.