A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Strange coincidence story of the day: I ordered eight (8)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange coincidence story of the day: I ordered eight (8)...

...backup DAT cartridges for out Compaq Proliant server for daily data backups. Price was $6.65 each online (about $60 total + ship) - not a bad deal.

The package arrives by UPS ground today and inside I find not 8 DAT tapes, but a couple of SDRAM DIMMS. I was a little peeved at first, then I took a closer look at the package: "Smart Modular Technologies 4GB REG. ECC SDRAM KIT for COMPAQ Proliant Server. It's a 4 gigabyte RAM upgrade for OUR EXACT SERVER! I laughed my a$$ off at the irony. What are the chances that they would send this particular item in error to someone who actually had a use for it?

Depending on where you purchased it, it would cost between $1650 and $2200 for us to buy this upgrade. They're closed now, but first thing tomorrow morning I'm going to call customer service to notify them of the error and DEMAND that they take this back and send me my DAT cartridges. :-P

I'm too honest for my own good. :-/
Old 07-22-2002, 03:23 PM

Wow.. You ARE too honest for your own good
Old 07-22-2002, 03:34 PM

Default I was tempted for a second to just...

...re-order the DAT's from another supplier and keep my big trap shut (making good use of the RAM). But knowing that...

- the item was sent in error
- the company (no matter how big) will suffer that loss if I don't step up
- I consider it stealing if I knowingly keep said item

...I had no choice but to notify them. I don't believe in karma, but I do know the difference between right and wrong (momma would be proud).

One thing's for sure, they're paying for the shipping. ;-)
Old 07-22-2002, 03:37 PM

Well that's good of you.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Technically...

...it's even BETTER for them. :-P

(edit) - I mis-read your post. Thought you said, "That's good for you."
Old 07-22-2002, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Well before you demand that they take them back...

At least inquire whether or not they even want them back.

Sometimes a company won't want to deal with the return shipping, and they'll just say "you can throw them out."

And just so you know, if a company sends you something in the mail that you did not order, it is legally considered a gift.
I remember several years ago (when x386 computers were considered top-of-the-line) my friend's father called Austin Computers and ordered a catalog. They sent him a whole computer my mistake. The company had no record of the sale, and my friend's father kept the computer.

-- Peter
Old 07-22-2002, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*pat on back*
Old 07-22-2002, 03:55 PM

Default Where did you hear that?

Legally considered a gift? Source?

It's hard to imagine that they wouldn't want $1750 worth of hardware returned, just to save the hassle of paying $5 or so for shipping.

It sure would be nice to octuple (sp) our server's RAM at n/c. Thanks for making things more difficult. :-P
Old 07-22-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Per the 'Lectric Law Library's stacks regarding Unordered Merchandise...

The law that you are referring to is to protect consumers from being required to pay for unordered items that they are intentionally sent and billed for. The webside suggests the following in my case.

"THE UNORDERED MERCHANDISE I RECEIVED WAS APPARENTLY THE RESULT OF AN HONEST SHIPPING ERROR. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (i.e., 30 days) in which to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Inform the seller that after the specified time period has passed, you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or to dispose of it as you wish."
Old 07-22-2002, 04:11 PM

Default BTW - The U.S. Federal Trade Commission's website says the same thing...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/products/unorderd.htm">http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/products/unorderd.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Strange coincidence story of the day: I ordered eight (8)...