A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Strat Short throw review, questions and reflections...(more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strat Short throw review, questions and reflections...(more)

I installed the Stratmosphere short throw shifter a few weeks ago and I've finally made up my mind about my likes and dislikes. Please read on,

First of all installation.
1. DO NOT DROP THE TORX SCREWS.
2. When assembling the shifter, make sure the bolt that connects the shifter to the transmission fits. IT MATTERS. Try the bolt in its appropriate posistion BEFORE reassembling, it only goes one way!
3. Use loctite on both of the above mentioned bolts.
4. When lowering the bucket to gain access to the 4 torx bolts, use a sproket wrench and a spring-like bendable neck to get at them. The fronts are easy, the back are a pain in the neck.
5. If you loose the bolts that hold the bucket up, the nut part number is Hillman m6-1.00 Hex Nut Class 8, and the washer I purchased to use along with it was Hillman #14s flat brass washers.
6. If you loose the torx bolt, they arnt available from the dealership. We'll I lied, they are, but they want you to spend $99 on an entire shifter assembly. So, must go cheap route: Lowes. For these I purchased Hillman 12x1 Zinc metal screw.
7. When putting the spacers in between the bucket and the bars that hold the shifter assembly, I took a long screw driver and put the spacer on it. I lifted up the shifter to move the bar a little, and put the head of the screw driver in the bucket hole. I then let go of the spacer to drop in between the hole and the lifed bar, then rest the bar on top. Put the thin screw driver down and align everything, drop the torx screw in, and there you have it. Its hard to explain on paper, but if you're doing the install, that should help significantly.
8. The stratmosphere directions call for a RIGHT ANGLE circlip pliars. These are not needed, any circlip pliars will due. Sears calls circlip pilars something different, but I forgot what that is.

When holding the two shifters side by side during installation, you cant imagine how audi installed such a cheap looking piece in the car compared to what you are putting in. I'm surprised how I havnt ripped my stock shifter in half by looking at its cheap plastic!

I find that the shifter does not spring back between third and fourth anymore. It will stay in neutral wherever I put it. There is a lot more play with the shifter when it is in gear which I didnt really experience with the stck shifter. Initially the gears seem terribly short and stiff, until you get used to it. Then the way the gears row are significantly more pleasureable then the stock shifter. Gears are more accurate. Daily driveability is excellent, with only margional more effort needed to row. I can shift faster, but I've also been treating my new investment delicately after seeing inside a shifter assembly for the first time.

I really enjoy it over all. The installation took me a couple hours, but I am novice and I felt like I made every mistake possible. I had to purchase a few things for the install, but most everything I had onhand (and I dont have much). I'd say, anyone with half a brain and an ability to follow directions can install this themselves. Something also not required but highly recomended is a nice small set of hands.

Goodluck, and if any of you want any info, I feel I've qualified myself as a professioal with this install after doing it twice.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats!

I feel the same way and I also felt the extra play when in gear. I had about the same experience as you except I was fortunate enough not to drop anything. That magnetic tool really came in handy... But now, the throw of this feels longish sometimes and I kind of wish it was a bit shorter. Maybe I'm just crazy... Good job though and hope you enjoy it!