A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stuck oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck oil pan

Well, as far as I can tell, all the bolts have been removed. The two bolts that are "inside" the pan right next to the transmission, all of the 5mm hex bolts, the bolt that passes throught the transmission case with the nut holding it to the oil pan... There is only one bolt that is vertical into the rear of the oil pan, it looks like a drain of some sort. I am going to remove that bolt this evening and try to remove the oil pan again. Have any of the wrenchers out there that have done an oil pan removal had a really tough time getting the pan off the block? I have tried motivating it with a rubber mallet and very carefully tried a pry bar on the front. There is very minimal movement using the pry bar, but it makes me very nervous to use. I STFA and found one post with the same problem, but no resolution. Any ideas? I will try heating the pan but dont have much faith that will help.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't done the pan on the A4 yet but I'm betting you missed a bolt somewheres
Old 05-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

Default Don't hold me to this but I think there's more to it than that...

For some reason I seem to remember reading (maybe in Bentley's) that you have to do something in addition to just removing the bolts, like tilt up the tranny or something crazy like that to pass the pan by an oil pick-up tube.

I'm totally going off the top of my head here and could be totally wrong, but if I were you I'd look into it before taking a mallet and pry bar to the pan.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Got it

Well, the bolt that was in the weird position ( kinda angled sideways ) that I though was a drain plug of some type turned out to be the final bolt holding the pan on. The first thing I tried tonight was taking it off and the pan practically jumped off the block.

It was difficult getting the pan out. I needed a pry bar and a 2X4. The pry bar allowed enough play in the losened subframe to get the 2X4 into a good position to push the frame down enough to get the pan and then the oil pump out.

Tomorrow is the beginning of re-assembly. Hopefully I can remember were everything goes that came of the car.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you take pics?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 AM

Default Re: did you take pics?

I've got a few pics of the front of the car being off. I'll snap a couple of the engine hanging from the hoist and the sub-frame being disconnected. I have the new oil pump installed, but the pan isn't reinstalled yet, so I can take some photos of that too.

I'll post them in a day or two.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:29 AM

You were correct! It was staring me in the face.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Banned

Default cool..not many people have done an oil pan change..

because of the whole fear of dropping the subframe thing...

you're the first! (that i know of)

some pics plus strightforward procdure and you got yourself a tech article.

by the way, why did you have to remove the oil pan? what was the condition of the inside?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 AM

Default Intermittant Oil Pressure warning...

As predicted by several posts, the oil pickup screen was completely clogged. I decided to change the oil pump at the same time. The inside of the oil pan looks fine except it appears that some cracks may be approching in the future. I wish I had replaced it at the same time. The oil pan removal is sooo involved that EVERYTHING should be done to avoid having to do it again.

Also, I would highly recommend LARGE jackstands. Once the engine hoist is employed, there is very little room to access the oil pan bolts if the vehicle isnt high enough. I am thinking of joining the circus because of my newly developed contortionist skills.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Banned

good god that sounds like a pita. engine hoist? i though you just drop the subframe.

Quick Reply: Stuck oil pan