A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stumped on valvetrian issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped on valvetrian issue.

Despite all my efforts to find a condition similar to mine by searching the forums, I still havent come across a case that is quite like this. I have a noisy valvetrain. I've listened to enough engines to know that this is not normal, it is downright loud. And, it wouldnt call it a ticking lifter, or lifters even, the entire valvetrain just chatters like crazy.

The bizzare part is, aside from the few seconds immediately after startup, the engine is extremely quiet and pleasant when cold. Only when the engine becomes fully warm after driving do the noises appear. During cold morning starts, the engine sounds almost silent, which is the opposite of what most people complain of it seems.

The second part of this is, I cannot for the life of me understand what is causing it. I have run with various oils, 5w-40 euro stuff, 5w-30 M1, and now 0w-40 M1, as well as using Justice Brothers engine tuneup on more than one occasion. 3 days ago I even replaced my oil pump with a brand new one, and once again, silent when cold (boy was i exited), but then loud valvetrain when the engine warmed up.

Considering the many fixes i have tried to throw at it, including a BRAND NEW oil pump, what is there left? I have heard of an "oil retaining valve" located somewhere near the oil cooler but there is virtually no information on this anywhere, nor can I find this part for sale. I've also heard of some valves in the head that keep oil near the lifters, but also there are only a handful of references to this part and no specifics whatsoever. I realise some of these noisy valvetrain issues are still up in the air at this point, but any insight or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have you removed the valve cover?

could it be sludge related in the head?
timing chain tensioner?
could the valve or lifters themselves be out of adjustment, if they are even adjustable.
just throwin a few things out there.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Default well, if it is the valves themselves

there's no adjustment. Could be a slightly bent valve(s) which gets exaggerated when warmer. But this is all speculation. Until he can get into the motor it would be tough to say.

BTW, I posted in the performance forum under your post.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ive heard of burnt valves ina 1.8T before, could this do that?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 AM

Default burnt valves should give him other symptoms but not this

I really don't think it's the valves. Like you said before, I'd take the valve cover off and start there. Inspect everything.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 PM

do symptoms gradually get worse as it warms up, or all of a sudden (ie when a valve opens/closes)
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: burnt valves should give him other symptoms but not this

Thanks for all your input so far guys. To answer RageRacer, the noise gradually increases as the engine reaches full temperature, where the ticking never gets any quieter or louder.

To answer the rest of you, I apologize for not mentioning in my post that I have also replaced the cam chain tensioner a few months ago as one of my initial attempts.

I have removed the valve cover multiple times and the aluminum surfaces are a clean brown and the cams and lifters are shiny and slick. Although some areas are submerged in oil, nothing appears to be wrong. At this point I'm thinking some kind of oil passage/valve that is clogged or fails to open and or sticks. Does anyone have any info on the "oil retaining valve"? Its supposed to be in the oil filter region, i've also heard of ones located in the head that keep oil near the lifters. thanks everyone
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The camshaft chain could be worn out

The timing chain that connects the two camshafts can stretch with time, or the tensioner can loosen. Both will cause noise from the valve area.