A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1998, 07:32 PM
Mark

Default Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant

Any opinions or comparisons of these two vehicles will be great help to me as I ponder the possibilities. Power, handling, space, etc??? Thank you.
Old 11-30-1998, 07:53 PM
JIM H.

Default Re: Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant

2.8 Avant: POWER Outback: Space Any Avant: Style,design,quality,Tip(if Auto.),German,<br>chassis,brakes(!),far superior roadability/handling,ergonomics,much more refined(Subarus have always SOUNDED a little like a garden tractor under acceleration). If all Qutbacks were $20,000, and all Avants were $32,000, the Outback would be a much better value than it is.<br>Just my $.02.<br>
Old 11-30-1998, 08:04 PM
ChuckH

My Sister-In-Law has an Outback wagon, and it's a nice car, but does not even come close to matching the A4 Avant in most respects. The Outback scores points for interior room, dependability, and off-road ability (significant ground clearance), but other than that, the Avant is far superior. As for my S-I-L, whenever I tell her I like her car, she always says something like "yeah, it's alright," with no enthusiasm whatsoever. A couple times she told me she wanted her '88 volvo 740 Turbo Wagon back, because the Subaru is too boring, and doesn't come anywhere near the Volvo, performance wise. If you don't mind the smaller Avant, and don't mind the extra cost, go for it! :-)<p>Charles<p>BTW: I drove by this house for several months and there was a nice A4 for sale. I couldn't figure out why they were selling it, but when I drove by today, there was a brand new Avant sitting in the driveway. Very nice car!<p>
Old 11-30-1998, 08:08 PM
Tom

Default Re: Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant (very long opinions)

Since A4 Avants aren't available in Canada, here's my opinions on both cars after I saw the Avant at the Seattle Auto show last month:<br>Styling: Advantage A4. The A4 Avant is probably the most beautiful wagon in the world anywhere. The Outback (or any Legacy wagons) will has a major redesign next year. Judging from the latest photos in Euro and Asian mags, the new Legacy wagons look less bulky and more stylish. But still, no match for the A4. Interior styling also gives the nod the Audi's wonderfully cozy atmosphere. The current Outback's interior looks really dated and spartan even with leather Limited version.<br>Powertrain: I think if you are looking for an Outback, you are probably comparing to the 1.8T version. The 1.8T has the potential to upgrade with a wide variety of chips, while the 2.8 is designed for luxury. I drove an Impreza 2.5RS coupe and feels quicker than my non-chipped 1.8T. With the added weight on the Outback, it should be adequate for most daily usage. Wants performance, get an 1.8T and chip it.<br>Versaility: The rear cargo area is the only area where Audi has the take a backseat to Subaru. Subaru can carry more stuffs without folding the back seat. Audi? For those who loves the style of an A4 with the image of owing a new trend of sports wagons (January Road and Track!!).<br>Comfort/luxury: Audi wins hands-down even in base 1.8T form. The Outback only got manual climate control, really cheapo plastic filling inside the interior ( plastic wood on Limited). The leather cries outloud VINYL soundly, even the leatherette on 1.8T feels classier. The only area that Audi lose is the back seat comfort. subaru gets more toe and leg rooms than Audi.<br>Value: Since Subaru will have a major makeover very soon. they will have to kicks those last model year cars out the dealership next year, IMHO. Subaru will have more negoitable room than Audi even Avants are selling below Audi's expectation.<br>Conclusion: For versailtiy or use a wagon as "appliance" to haul kids, cargos, the Outback is the choice. For driving pleasure, style, prestige and luxury, go for an A4 Avant. Subaru wagons will change to fun-to-drive, fun-to-own, lively machine from timid, conservative wagons if Subaru decides to import the Japanese market GT-B, RS-B Legacy biturbo wagons or WRX evo 5th Impreza wagons into our market<br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQM<br>S4 Avant or WRX Impreza STI wagon (when dreaming)
Old 11-30-1998, 09:40 PM
Rich D.

Default Outback can go off-road; Avant is purely a (great) street car.

nt
Old 12-01-1998, 03:42 AM
New Avant Owner

We drove the Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT stick, which is somewhat similar to the Outback (we only sat in and looked over an Outback). Why we easily and very quickly eliminated the Subaru: at 80MPH on highways, car does not feel stable, nor is fun; stick is very notchy (also not fun); overall hardware integrity (i.e. solidness of door construction) is weak compared to Avant. We really wanted to like the Subaru more, but instead we now smile ear-to-ear everytime we drive our Avant.
Old 12-01-1998, 04:30 AM
Mark Bergman

I'm driving a '96 Outabk with 58K miles on it. It is a rock solid, reliable car. In 58K I replaced the alternator and Subaru reimbursed me for the parts out of warranty when I asked nicely. My car is fitted out with every option, but it is still a middle class car. It rides fine, but road noise is noticeable. Ona long drive, I need to stretch my back every 2-3 hours. The Subaru is undoubtedly more reliable and less costly to purchase. It does offer nice ground clearance for those of us in heavy snow areas. All said- no kids, single I'm about to get an A4 Quattro 2.8
Old 12-01-1998, 05:50 AM
cj

Default My Outback/A4 experience (longish)

I have an 97 Outback and a 98 1.8T sedan both in 5 speeds so here's my take.<p>The Outback is, contrary to other posts, a pretty fun car to drive with a clutch. Yes, the shifter is somewhat notchy (although I've heard it's been refined in the 99's) but the 2.5 boxer engine is responsive and even with the boosted height and skinny tires the Suby holds the road pretty damn well. <p>The Outback is my "family" (wife & 1 child) car and has plenty of room for trucking stuff on vacations and other household tasks. It also provides a backseat capable of carrying three adults for an extended ride. I would not consider the Avant to be the equal of the Outback for many of these things.<p>If you are just comparing the cars head to head, get the A4. The ride, performance, handling, and materials are just that much better than the Subaru. If you are looking at the two because you have needs that require a wagon, you might want to consider the Outback more. While it is not an A4, it is more than just an "appliance" station wagon. I do enjoy driving it, just not as much as my A4.<p>Other considerations, check out the 2.5 GT wagon (if I had to replace my Outback, I would get this) and the Passat wagon (or maybe this). All are good sport wagons that are available with 5 speeds (a major factor in my decision).
Old 12-01-1998, 06:02 AM
Freddy Fox

A4 Avant is a rebadged Pinto, go with the Outback ...
Old 12-01-1998, 06:12 AM
JIM H.

Default Three adults for an extended ride in the back of an Outback???You must live in the Emerald City.nt

nt

Quick Reply: Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant