A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Subaru Outback Wagon vs. Avant

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1998, 11:40 AM
cj

Default Re: I've packed three small adults abreast in back seat, but ONLY for short hauls [eom]

OK, now I'm not being clear, what I was really interested in was how much "stuff" you packed into your Advant.<p>Reason I asked was I have family in Cape Cod and have made two weekend trips up there since I had the A4. Unfortuately both times I had to cart extra stuff that I wouldn't normally bring for my wife, child, and myself and due to the need for extra space, had to take the Outback.<p>It's caused me to think that maybe I should have looked closer at the Advant since it would give me more opportunity to drive my A4.
Old 12-01-1998, 01:05 PM
J.Russ

Default Hm... hard to say...

I don't have kids, but I might have a useful camparison. My last car was an Integra GS-R sedan, with roughly the same cargo capacity of an A4 sedan (larger back seat, though.) My girlfriend and I are incurable packrats when we go out of town; we take EVERYTHING with us -- coolers, four suitcases, guitar, box fan, beach chairs, heart-lung machine, you name it. We couldn't see out of the back of the GS-R for all the junk.<p>This year, we packed the same stuff in the Avant, with the back seat up, and even had room to close the cargo cover. It was a welcome change. We didn't look like we'd driven out of the pages of "The Grapes of Wrath."<p>I'm sure you've compared Subaru's the Audi's cargo specs for both vehicles.<p>Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-1998, 01:43 PM
Robbie

True, for the *stock* options. The Avant *could* be made into a superior rally vehicle though.
Old 12-01-1998, 03:15 PM
JIM H.

Default cj:didn't mean to question your honesty...sheesh!

I'm sorry if you took offense with my post concerning your Outback's rear seat. You and I both know that we wouldn't want to spend a considerable period of time in the back seat of an Avant OR an Outback with a friend between us,<br>unless she was a very short, very affectionate model.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIM H.
I'm sorry if you took offense with my post concerning your Outback's rear seat. You and I both know that we wouldn't want to spend a considerable period of time in the back seat of an Avant OR an Outback with a friend between us,<br>unless she was a very short, very affectionate model.
Ok this made me laugh out loud. I have 4 teenage sons that are all right around 6 feet tall. They threaten my life if I make 3 of them sit together in the back seat of my A4 2008 Avant much longer than a trip to the grocery store. I sold my Q7 because I thought I didn't need the room. I was wrong, but I'm giving the A4 to my son soon anway. When I am alone, the A4 is a lot of fun to drive. Did a road trip in the back of an Outback and was VERY comfortable in the back seat of the car with one other passenger and I am a six footer myself. Everytime I closed the door of the Subaru I cringed though. It just didn't feel as nice as my Audi, and the Subie was brand new.