A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

subwoffer install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-1999, 11:00 AM
Alan T.

Default subwoffer install

Anybody install a sub lately?. I want to install a sub and was wondering what is the best route for the power line from the battery to the trunk. Where did you go through the fire wall and how did you go from there? The firewall part seems the hardest. My old bimmer was so easy with the battery in the truck. But this car is so much more fun to drive. 99.5QMS 1.8 silver
Old 04-13-1999, 11:15 AM
KraTOR

Default Re: subwoffer install

Check out the a4.org FAQ, there is a good idea there.
Old 04-13-1999, 11:44 AM
Todd M.

Default Re: subwoffer install

Unless you know what you're doing, I'd urge you to get a pro to do the wiring for you. I spent $150 for this and I think it was money well spent. (I had my own subwoofer and amp from a previous car). My install was as follows:<p>1) Custom hole with grommet created on the driver's side and the wiring routed through the dash. (The installer had to take the dash out. Ugly.) This was a very clean (low noise) solution. The wire was routed through the rest of the driver's side of the car into the trunk.<p>3) Amp ground was wired under the rear seat.<p>4) The line level outs coming into the left rear speaker (driver's side speaker) were tapped into.<p>One thing to consider is that the trunk is well very well accousticaly isolated with the seats back. I'm not entirely happy with the sound. It depends on the music. If you play some black R&B, the rumble comes through great. If you play something less low-end boosted, it doesn't come through much at all and you have to play with the bass level. What would be nice is some way to drill a hole in the rear deck where the existing speakers are, but you can't because the fabric is glued to the material. You could also install the subwoofer in between the two rear speakers and have a custom grille installed. <p>Overall, the system with sub is better than stock, but seems to be lacking in lower middle range. (I still think the stock system on my 1992 Toyota Celica sounds better). You can play around with the fader and adjusting the sub amp levels, but I haven't found any setting that is entirely satisfactory yet.<p>
Old 04-13-1999, 01:30 PM
Josh

Default Opinion of subwoofer strength on VW/Audi products...

Since VW and Audi (and SEAT, Skoda, etc. I imagine) are so well built, the sound/effect of a sub in these cars can tend to be of minimal gain. I installed a nice system in my '94 Passat (Alpine head unit / 50X4 amp / changer w/ MBquart separates front and rear and a Kenwood amp/sub in trunk), and the seats isolated the trunk so much that it wasn't even worth all the effort.<p>Have a professional help you with it, if just for ideas.<p>-josh<br>98.5 2.8qms
Old 04-13-1999, 04:20 PM
markbradord

Default Questions about rear deck port....Bandpass or Freeair? (more)

<i> What would be nice is some way to drill a hole in the rear deck where the existing speakers are, but you can't because the fabric is glued to the material </i><p>I don't understand why you can't cut a hole in the rear deck. I haven't picked up my car yet, so I haven't inspected this on an A4. It seems to me though, that the best solution in this situation may be a bandpass box that is vented through the rear deck. I'm not a fan of BP boxes overall, but, if tuned properly, they could be perfect for the sealed trunk. OR is there enough room on the rear deck to do major surgery and mount free-air subs?<br>mark