A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Subwoofer "centered" install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-1999, 03:40 PM
Costa

Default Subwoofer "centered" install

In a post, "klidge" mentioned that he mounted an 8 inch sub in the rear deck. How did you do this? Who cut the hole? Was it a big problem?<br>Thx.
Old 02-28-1999, 01:59 AM
klidge

Default Costa, here's how --

Not a major job, but I did have a shop do it. Yes, a hole is cut into the center of the rear deck ro accomodate the subwoofer. In addition, a thin slab of wood was fitted in the bevel between the existing rear speakers; go look at your car's rear deck, you'll see what I mean. So this piece of wood, which was covered with matching carpet, is about 24" left to right, 9" front to back, and 1/2" top to bottom. An 8" speaker will not fit flush in the rear deck without this piece of wood, because of the bevel. The sub sits flush atop the piece of carpeted wood, which rests neatly in the bevel on the rear deck, you with me?<p>The amp was installed directly underneath the rear deck. This is not the ideal way to do it, because an amp hanging upside down does not dissipate heat as effectively but I use the stereo every time I drive and so far it has never overheated. I didn't want anything taking up space in the trunk and I didn't want to see it either.<p>I'm usually disappointed with after-market work done on a budget, but I'm pleased with the results here, and I often get compliments on the sound from passengers. <br>
Old 02-28-1999, 06:47 AM
ChrisC

Default Re: Subwoofer "centered" install........Why not do this...

Put bevel board at back facing ski hatch. Lower arm rest when Thumping base desired else retract arm rest when someone's sitting behind for softer base. Works on mine a year already!!!<br>
Old 02-28-1999, 09:43 AM
dt

Default Re: Subwoofer "centered" install

Was browsing through some car audio mag (forgot the title) yesterday that featured a sub box install on an A4. Custom enclosure and subs were manufactured by JL Audio. Attaches underneath rear deck and still allows use of pass through. Costs a pretty penny, though.
Old 02-28-1999, 11:24 AM
AndyN

Default JL Stealthbox for A4. Link attached.

Plenty o' people on this board have one - I plan on one soon. $650 list, I believe, for custom box & 2 sub drivers. Search the archives for more info!<br><ul><li><a href="http://stealthbox.jlaudio.com/audia4.html">JL Stealthbox</a></li></ul>
Old 02-28-1999, 12:23 PM
Roger

Default Who sells them by mail order?

dfg