A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Super Control Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Control Arm Replacement

Hi, I own a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 30v Quattro, with 111,000 miles on it.

I have a clunking noise on the front end and had it diagnosed as wear and tear of the control arm parts.

I had the tie rods replaced(they were sorely needed) and one of the upper ball joints, but the "clunking" is still there, and I am tired of replacing parts piece meal.

That is when I found out that there is a kit that replaces all the suspension parts, this kit includes Upper and lower front control arm, Sway bar ends and tie rods and all the needed bolts and nuts. There are two companies that make this kit, one is OCAC and the other is Meyle. The only difference is that the Meyle tie rods is 27mm versus 22mm for the OCAC.

Does any one have knowledge/opinion of doing this replacement and/or the control arm kit or the companies?

Also, while I am thinking of this replacemen and they have to remove all the suspension, I might as well take advantage of the situation and replace my shocks and springs, I was thinking of the Bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs. But I wonder what type of ride this will give me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take a second and search the archives and look at the tech section

I just replaced all my control arms and tie rod ends. I got a Febi Bilstein kit from purems.com. No one seems to have anything bad to say about those parts. I also replaced the shocks and springs as well, its really easy to do while you have everything apart. It will save you money if you plan on having someone else install it and because you only have to get one alignment.

The nice thing about replacing all the control arms at once is that the car drives like it was brand new
Old 09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Former Vendor

Default Meyle and Febi-Bilstein are two of the more popular kits.

They're both all inclusive, and include the arms, sway links, and tie rod ends.

There's lots of information in the archives about opinions and reviews of both kits. Read the reviews, check the archives and decide for yourself.
The OCAP arms are horrible.

Bilstein/H&R is a very popular suspension combination, Vogtland/KONI and Bilstein/Vogtland is yet another very popular option to consider. All are very good on the street, offer a comfortable ride height, and make driving a lot more fun.