A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Survey about Audi Salespeople

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey about Audi Salespeople

I would like everyone's opinion on this. I am a salesman at an Audi dealership.
Like most cars dealerships we all wear a shirt and tie. I personally think that customers are more comfortable dealing with a salesman who is dressed a little more casual. I think that the typical shirt and tie is rather dated and stereotypical. My boss disagrees. He thinks that we should all wear ties, it makes us more professional, customers expect that and they like dealing with a salesman who is dressed like that way. I think we should dress like our customers. Maybe a golf shirt and slacks, or a dress shirt with no tie with a sportcoat. I would like your opinion on this. Please post a followup to this and just put in the subject header either casual or Dressed up. Thanks for your help
Old 04-18-2002, 10:55 PM

Default I bought my car at Steve Taub in Santa monica...

They all wore khaki's and polo(golf) shirts.I must say that the laid back, but still professional, may a stressful situation a little easier. By the way when are the new S4's coming out, I'll buy one from you, seriously what dealership do you wor at?
Old 04-18-2002, 11:05 PM

Default casual

ibought mine from a guy in a button shirt with no tie and the first couple buttons undone. most of the other guys there were in suits and slick hair, makes them look sleazy, u know they are just trying to sell you a car and get you the hell out of there fast.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I got mine from the first sales guy who said hi......

It was a small dealer in the north west part of ohio, I can't say much about your question but I have sold cars at every thing from Chevy stores in Cincy to the Lambo store in Marysville Ohio, and at both it was shirt and tie deal. I will say this in a psychological way the polos would make the people you are trying to sell feel alittle more comfortable, but getting your boss to buy into that is like telling him to get you a round desk so the customers don't feel they are competing with the person on the other side, at a round desk there is no other side and they can see what it is that you do and it helps make them feel that they are more a part of the buy experance. But if you want to make your customers feel more comfortable tell your boss to call Midwestren Auto Group in Columbus Ohio they wear polos and sell alot of Audi's and the other Nine lines the carry. But the best way to make your customers feel less presure is talk to them, call them by there first name and let them do the same, spend less time talking about the car itself and more time talking about what they are going to use it for, i.e. trips, comutes to work? stuff like that. If you can build a friendship with the people walking in the door in less then 30 minutes they will buy, maybe not right then but they will give you a shot at the sell. Last but not least don't for get never never window value a customer. I got my audi after going to 4 other dealers that would not even talk to me because I pulled up in a old ford pickup wearing bluejeans and nikes, you never know who has 15,000 in there pocket and who doesn't......<ul><li><a href="http://www.magcars.com">Midwestren Auto Group</a></li></ul>
Old 04-18-2002, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well. everyone is different. i dont really mind, long as the salesman is nice and cool.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:02 AM

Default Dressed UP definitely!!!

Casual days are long gone before Bush Admin. came along with "dressed up"!

In a way, you dress the way you behave. Simply, you wouldnt "behave" too casually in a $1000s suit, would you?

It's just like walking into Barneys for instance vs walking into Nordstorm or the like, wouldnt it be "funny" for them to dress similarly?

I am in Canada and you can certainly tell the differnce between a honda sales and a Aston Martin sales from the dressing! Dressed Up....get used to it......
Old 04-19-2002, 12:44 AM

It is how they act not how they dress
Old 04-19-2002, 02:30 AM

Default OK Just FLIP FLOPS and some corduroy shorts

down here in the south a shirt isn't really mandatory at all. Its darn hot eh?
Old 04-19-2002, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

dress up (semi casual maybe) but dont be a stiff
Old 04-19-2002, 04:14 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Casual.

Every Audi dealership I've been to...slacks and golf shirts were the norm. Wrinkled shirts and cotton chinos would definitely project the wrong image, however slacks and a pressed knit shirt would be just as respectable as a shirt and tie.

Furthermore, you are correct. The shirt and tie is a little too formal. People go to a car dealership to purchase a car. It's not supposed to be a formal affair. Dress in a manner that makes the customer "comfortable", and you'll probably find that customers will enjoy the experience a little more.

Quick Reply: Survey about Audi Salespeople