A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Survey about Audi Salespeople

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Dressed up' unless they issue VERY specific alternatives

The biggest issue with casual dress, is that there is way to much personal interpretation involved. Even Khakis and a collared shirt looks terrible if they are not pressed. It is inevitable that someone thinks a T-shirt with a Polo logo is okay to wear as 'Casual dress'

Anyone in a customer/client sales function needs to look the part. Traditional business attire is the safest route. No one will be offended or turned off dealing with a salesman who is wearing a decent pair of slacks, shoes, shirt, and tie. However, there are many people that would prefer not to deal with someone who is wearing wrinkled khakis with a golf shirt that is not tucked-in. The typical buyer of an A6/A8 will probably be expecting a more professional look.

One acceptable option would be for the dealer to issue Audi golf shirts and require pressed pants/slacks and acceptable dress shoes (not sneakers/tennis shoes/boat shoes).

Then again, this is coming from a guys who has spent 14 years in Corporate life....

Chris
Old 04-19-2002, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Personally...

I feel more relaxed when the other person is. I go in the dealer ship most of the times in jeans and tennis shoes and polo or button up shirt.
If the sales guy wore khakis and casual shoes and shirt that would be cool with me. Suit and tie makes me feel like I'm in a bank....and I don't like that feeling.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You should look professional. A shirt and tie needn't be square.

The "stereotypical" car salesman is in a short sleeve white shirt and regimental stripe tie. This needn't be you. There's so much variety in shirts and ties, you should be able to find something that you can be comfortable in while not feeling like a dork. I disagree that all customers want a salesman who dresses like them. I might go car shopping in jeans and a t-shirt, but if my salesman were dressed that way I'd wonder WTF is up with him and the dealership. I know you weren't suggesting anything so casual, but I said it to make a point: once you accept that the theory of dressing like the customer is not acceptable (as this example illustrates), the only remaining question is what style of dress should be acceptable. My feeling is that you can't go wrong with a shirt and tie. Who told you that customers are "uncomfortable" dealing with a salesman wearing a tie? If I'm forking over $30K for a car, hell, you oughta look like someone I'd give that kind of money to. And needless to say, as a salesman who wants to have the power of persuasion, the first thing you need is credibility. I think a shirt and tie helps with that on a subconscious level.

I notice some people here are saying they don't like a car salesman in a <i>suit</i> and tie. I agree; you don't want to look like a lawyer. You don't want to look stiff <i>or</i> too slick. You just want to look professional.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

business casual.. slacks and a nice shirt.. or go nekkid!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A clean shave and good hygiene are more important. If casual (assuming no tie) then..

everything should be pressed. The belt should match the shoes, the undershirt should be white, the socks should be black; etc. Most of this should go w/o saying one way or another. Knowledge about what you're selling is essential as well imho.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree, should be specific

In my business, I wear business casual every day. My customers see me in crisply pressed pants, pressed twill or other cotton button shirts with a tie or vest in winter, and company logo golf shirts in summer. Simple, professional, and comfortable.

I think that golf shirts and similar are OK if and only if they are Audi (Audi Sport, Auto Union) logo shirts. If they are required, they should be issued same as a uniform.

You don't have to look like you are going for an interview.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

uh...yeah...whatever...guess we should even talk about guys who wear flip flops.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:59 AM

Default Or you can dress like my ten year old cousin...

Sneakers with the soles coming off.
Mismatched dirty socks.
Jeans that have a hole in one knee and are covered in dirt/grass/food stains.
Superman underpants sticking out from the jeans.
Dirty 49er's T-Shirt with a big yellow cheese dog stain.
Bed head from not taking a shower after you woke up.
And bad breath from not brushing your teeth after you didn't take a shower.

C'mon just wear something nice that says Audi somehere on it.

-Brian Collins
Old 04-19-2002, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my dealer lets the sales people dress in a suit or business casual (kakis & polo)...now what sh

the buyer wear?

i bought mine in sandals, cargo shorts, and some kinda t-shirt...with sand here and there, and the fresh sent of salt in my hair =)...(beach is good...)
Old 04-19-2002, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can wear plaid suits and polyester ties for all I care....just

be more knowledgeable than the customer about your product and treat people with dignity and respect.

Quick Reply: Survey about Audi Salespeople