A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Suspension decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension decisions...

A lot of different reviews in the archives
I want coilovers for adjustability and occassional track day

1) Stasis Tracksports 600F/700R: height & damping

2) Bilstein PSS9: height & damping

3) KW Variant 2: height & damping

4) Vogtland: height only

Anyone currently have one of these set-ups
Give me your impressions...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

most complete A4 evAr in the works...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Elder Member

Default Vogtland...

i have no drove with that set up btu i have rode in one. IMO its the best c/o set up other than penske's and those other race set up ones. Talk to Tomasz. His email is tomasz@startupracing.com, he will tell you what is so great about vogtland's.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ...

1. Tracksports - overall very nice suspension set up. Heavier rear spring is unique among coilover set ups for our cars. That gives the chassis a more balanced feel. Shocks are generally forgiving on bad roads (even if the springs aren't)...they have a fluid nature to them compared to something like an H&R shock. Cons - something called a porpoising effect. The front of the car pogo's over certain bumps in the road. If you've done a good job setting the front and rear rebound, you'll minimize this, but never really get rid of it. Once you find that sweet spot, you probably won't tinker with the rebound settings even when you go to the track (if you don't get the front to rear rebound ratios right, you'll end up making it handle worse...not something you want when you've commited several hundred $$$ and possibly more for that track day).

2. PSS9's - no personal experience. Generally pretty low spring rates, lending themselves to good streetability. External adjusters that don't require cutting, drilling, etc. (I think). Several of the S4 guys have raved about these as a nice street kit. The shocks are adjustable with one **** that changes compression and rebound together (tracksports to rebound only). This makes it easier for you to dial in the suspension. With numbers on the dial, I think it's a bit easier to work out ideal settings for the street, record, those, and similarly figure out ideal settings for the track, record those, and flick the adjuster back and forth to the predetermined settings when you go on and off the track.

KW V2 - Generally a good kit. Somewhat on the firm side like the Tracksports. Much heavier front spring rates compared to rear spring rate, so you'll get more understeer than in the tracksports. Adjusters only adjust rebound. Rear can be accessed like tracksports by cutting the shock housing. Fronts require that the shock be compressed fully before adjusting the rebound (which means the shock has to be removed from the car). Stainless steel body should fair better in the NE than the Tracksports. Not sure what the PSS9's are made of.

Vogtland - No personal experience. Initial impressions I've read indicate these also use pretty high spring rates, so they also tend to be a little firm. The fixed dampening may seem like a con, but it takes some of the guesswork out of figuring out the correct settings. That's not a bad thing...I've been down both roads.

That's the 10,000 ft view.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good review

Are you running Tracksports now?
What spring rates?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll give you a turkey for that
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup...went with uber soft...500F/600R...

They sell very few of those for the S4's, but I'm content with it...you still feel those springs on bad roads. The downside is there is a good bit of lean (don't mind that) and turn in isn't nearly as sharp as it would be with 100-150 lbs more spring rate and firmer valving on the shocks. I think it might be perfect for a streetable A4 kit, but on the track you might find yourself wanting something stiffer.

Silver Streakin has 600/750 Tracksports. With his car you just point and shoot. I've watching him snake his car through turns 7, 8, and 9 at Mid Ohio (short rollercoaster set of turns), and the car seems very planted.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default LOL!

I was just thinking...after typing all that out, Modified better give me a cooked Turkey! :-P
Old 03-08-2006, 07:15 PM

Default I am going through a similar process right now.

What about the Stasis street sport kit? Keep us posted on your final choice. I will be looking forward to hearing driving impressions.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM

x2

Quick Reply: Suspension decisions...