A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Suspension woes... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension woes... HELP

So I'm running Neuspeed Bilsteins and OEM sport springs. About a month or so back, I put on a 19mm rear sway.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a loud clunk coming from the right rear corner. Finally stopped to take a good look at the rear suspension through the wheels. My left side rear shock is completely vertical... My right side rear looks like this: \

I'm gonna go put it up on jackstands now and have a look, but if anyone has any insight, please reply! TIA
Old 09-04-2003, 09:38 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's kinda strange...

the only way the shock could really end up like that is if a bolt was missing, but then the back corner of the car would be dragging on the pavement. A picture would help.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bad install? that sounds real dangerous.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:03 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's what I'm thinking...

in order for that shock to tilt like that, at least TWO of the strut housing bolts would need to be missing, and the lower shock bolt would need to be missing as well. If that was the case, the car should be undrivable.

Either that, or the installer somehow bent the shock when installing everything. I suppose if a monkey were installing it, that's possible...but who would intentionally bend a shock to get it into place?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

Default Wondering if maybe the assembly on the top of the strut came off

That rear shock does sit just a little cockeyed for some reason. If the top of the shock shaft broke off, I imagine the force of the spring might cause the shock to tilt at a slightly different angle.

Just guessing here. Probably a number of possibilities.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Actually, you might be dead on...

You're talking about the strut housing with the (4) 17mm bolts? Yeah, if that was no longer secured by the 4 bolts, it would still kinda sit in place, but sit a little cockeyed, like you said. You would still keep the spring and shock supported (two little hooks that would remain to hold it against the body of the car), and ride height would remain unchanged...however you would get the occassional clunk. I think Mike wins the prize here! It does indeed sound like the installer forgot to put the 4 bolts back!
Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Ok, took a peek...

The four bolts for the shock housing are still apparently intact. No indication of shock failure (i.e. oil on the shock), though since I don't have the tools to uninstall the shock to get a better look, there could be oil on the shaft.

So all in all, everything LOOKS ok. Swaybar, links, driveshaft, shock, spring. I'll just have to wait and see what they say at my service next weekend.

No pics here as I have no digital camera, but does anyone have a pic of the whole assembly (wheel off, of course)?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:31 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You're missing something fairly obvious...

see frank's DIY suspension install article in the wheel and tire section of the tech section. There should be some good pics in there.

How about the bolt that holds the upper control arm to the wheel bearing housing...is that bolt still there?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor

Default Bzzt

I was actually referring to the bolt that goes through the housing and through the top of the strut.

If somehow the top of that strut got disconnected from the shock shaft itself.. Similar problem some of the earlier H&R Coilover guys were having.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:34 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Possible, but the shock body wouldn't be canted over at an angle, would it?

Quick Reply: Suspension woes... HELP