A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Swedish Audi police car

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-1999, 03:40 PM
Jason M

Default Halton region have S70's

Halton Regional police have an S70 or two. Looks good all painted up with the light bar.
Old 09-05-1999, 03:51 PM
Tom

Default Re: They've already started using S/V70's on the south shore of Montreal...really?

During fall of 97 and spring of 98, I saw a couple of S70 T5 and V70R AWD police cars testing around in Vancouver's Lower Mainland. It looks unique compares with a sea of Ford Crown Victoria police cars here in BC especially its an European police cars. Most people think the province is a waste of taxpayers' money on buying some really nice European police cars instead of using domestic Ford or GM products (you know, our NDP government is complete idiot which makes BC's economy subpar compares with the rest of the country). I remembered that fall's Motoring 98 TV program has a special section of mention the Volvo police cars and seemed like a reality when I watch that show after I saw some of them.
Personally, I think police liked those vehicles cause its safe (its a Volvo preception) and handles like an European car. Too bad our government wasted money on some ugly thing instead of bringing some good thing to BC. Right now, we have undercover Chevy Venture LWB, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Chevy Crapalier, Pontiac Sunfire and some Chrysler minivans as undercover while Ford Crown Victoria (and coming V6 Chevy Impala) as a real police cars.
Its good Sweden has Audi A6 as a police car. But I have heard they like to use "tank" Volvo 240 sedan as a cruiser mainly of its reliability and some Saab 9000s. Am I right?
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 09-05-1999, 04:27 PM
Avery Ironside

Default They're all VW or Audi products

If I'm not mistaken, every car in that parking lot is a VW or Audi. Where is it?
Old 09-05-1999, 04:29 PM
Avery Ironside

Default Driving a Caprice

I recently had the opportunity to do some driving in a light blue Caprice with dark tinted windows. I do admit it was entertaining.
Old 09-05-1999, 04:35 PM
Avery Ironside

Default Here in Toronto...

They use Crown Vics plus some Caprices as undercover cars and some Camaro Z28's for highway patrol. There are also some Cherokees running around. I once saw a Camaro being used to clear intersections for a group of emergency vehicles. Once they went through it would speed past them and clear the next intersection before they got there. Pretty awesome.
Old 09-05-1999, 04:52 PM
7an

Default Re: They're all VW or Audi products

I'm not sure where exactly the picture was taken, but it looks like a fairly normal Swedish parking lot to me. There is in fact a lot of VW vehicles on the road there, and a lot more Audis than in the US. A8s however, are not very common, but neither are the 7-series or the S-class. All police cars are European (Volvo, Saab, some German) except the "motherships" which is how we refer to the imported huge Chevy (and possibly Ford) vans that are used to transport squads of police officers (and whatever else you can imagine.
Old 09-05-1999, 04:56 PM
7an

Default Re: They've already started using S/V70's on the south shore of Montreal...really?

I haven't seen the 240 in a long time. It's possible that there still are some 740s out there, but most are 850s or S70s. Quite a few Saab 9000s as well.
Old 09-05-1999, 05:04 PM
7an

Default Re: They spelled Police wrong!!! :)

LOL! (nt)
Old 09-05-1999, 05:05 PM
7an

That's a good point!
Old 09-05-1999, 05:24 PM
Tom

Default Do they use Saab 900 Turbo SPG or 9000 Aero as a freeway crusiers?

Its pretty crumsy to drive in either a Volvo 240 and 7-series, like an American land yacht. Maybe the Swedish police force love it cause its spacious and its a Sweden-made cars. If they use some high-performance swedes like old Saab 900 Turbo SPG or 9000 Aero to current Volvo V70R AWD to 9-3 Viggen. Then they will probably have the most interesting police force in the world next to German's M3, 911 or maybe S4 Autobarn cruisers!
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0

Quick Reply: Swedish Audi police car