A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

taking my car in for wind noise . .suggestions (more)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-1999, 09:18 AM
randall

Default taking my car in for wind noise . .suggestions (more)

1/ car is past 80K. I am now running under the extended warrantee that i purchased.<p>2/ noise is from driver's side door upper side, by driver's head. Noise appears above 100KPH, increases to a roar at 180KPH.<p>3/ i can make the noise go away by:<br>a) pulling in the door at the top (by the window) with my hand. Tomblike silence ensues.<br>b) opening the door, and tugging on the seal at the upper side of the door. Sound goes away for a while (used to be weeks, now its hours)<p>4/ The door appears to be lined up perfectly when it is closed. seam is even, and rubber on outside appears properly mated.<p>what do i do? I don't want them to re-align the door, (as they have done on the passenger's rear) and ruin the way it hangs. <p>Suggestions and prior experience appreciated.<br>thankx<p>1996 a4 2.8v12 qm
Old 03-02-1999, 10:19 AM
Marc M

Default Re: taking my car in for wind noise . .suggestions (more)

I have the same problem but it seems to be coming from the passenger side front<br>door and also the rear doors seem to make alot of noise. I took a 5hr drive and I <br>couldn't believe how much wind noise their was. I haven't called the dealership<br>or Audi yet to see if they have heard of any problems or fixes. Has anyone dealt<br>with any dealerships in regards to this problem in the SF bay area.<p>Thanks for your help,<p>Marc<br>99 1.8tqms
Old 03-02-1999, 10:31 AM
Andy Hedin

I've got the exact same problem you describe, also on the driver's door. Definitely seems to get worse as the temperatures get lower...probably due to the cold temps causing the rubber seals to shrink a bit. Also seems to be bad on really windy days and is most noticeable above 70 mph.<p>I adjusted the door myself by moving the door-striker in slightly. This seemed to help a bit, but now the door seems to rattle a bit more than before. I've also tried spraying all the seals with silicone...this didn't really seem to make any difference. I've also tried "fluffing" the inner seals to "uncompress" them a bit...this hasn't done much to fix the problem either.<p>I love my A4, but the wind noise and the few rattles/squeaks I have are driving me nuts!<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar Chip, ABT Filter...
Old 03-02-1999, 10:45 AM
Jim

I have the same problem. I asked my dealer and they told me that this is not a new problem to the A4. They realigned the door and it only reduced the noise a little bit but it is still very irritating above 70 mph. Has any call Audi America about this? This seems to be a common occurence.
Old 03-02-1999, 11:06 AM
nozomi

Randall,<br>My car was built in June 96 and it has the same problem.<br>If you think the wind noise might be associated with the driver's side mirror, you might want to read Window Noise Fix write up in FAQ under General Topics.<br>I haven't tried anything yet. <p>Nozomi
Old 03-02-1999, 11:07 AM
randall

Default so adjusting the striker didn't help. I bet this is all the dealer will do . . .

and this is my fear. They may try re-aligning the door as well, and it looks perfect now.<br>I was going to try doing the striker myself. but if u say i doesn't help. . . Can u describe the rattle?<p>Fluffing the seal made the most difference. I was even toying with the idea of adding an inner bladder to the seal and fill with air to make it bigger. <p>u are right i suspect this is related to the cold, i never noticed last summer.<p>We have been having high winds in toronto, and i can barely hear the stereo at regular volume on the 401!<p>Ever thought of just bending the door in at the top just a bit?<p>Randall
Old 03-02-1999, 11:20 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: so adjusting the striker didn't help. I bet this is all the dealer will do . . .

>I was going to try doing the striker myself.<br>>but if u say i doesn't help. . . Can u describe the rattle? <p>I only moved the striker in a very small amount and I was trying very hard to only move it on the horizontal plane...I did not want to move the striker up or down at all. I'm guessing that the rattle I'm hearing (mostly over bumps) is the striker on the B-pillar hitting against the latch mechanism in the door. The top of my striker plate has a small shiny section which I think has happened due to the two pieces rubbing/banging against each other over bumps. I'd say try it yourself (you'll need a Torx bit or Torx screwdriver). One suggestion: mark the original location with some white-out or something similar. That would help if you want to return it to the original position.<p>>Fluffing the seal made the most difference. I was even<br>>toying with the idea of adding an inner bladder to the<br>>seal and fill with air to make it bigger.<p>Cool idea..if you figure out how to make this work, let me know and I'll buy one off of you ;-)<p>>u are right i suspect this is related to the cold, i never<br>>noticed last summer. We have been having high winds in toronto,<br>>and i can barely hear the stereo at regular volume on the 401!<p>I too never noticed the problem during the warmer months (I'm in Southeast PA). A few weeks ago the temps were in the high 50's and the noise was reduced approximately 90%.<p>>Ever thought of just bending the door in at the top just a bit?<p>I think I remember reading on this board that someone did exactly that. I think they placed a block of wood down on the doorsill to hold the door open a bit and, with the window down, pushed the top of the door inward. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it helped. I think I might try this.<p> Andy<br>
Old 03-02-1999, 11:28 AM
StephenW

Default Try adjusting the window frame separately from the door,,,,

I had the same problem on my 1998.5, the wind noise was horrid above 70mph. The dealer replaced the door seal (twice), then pulled in the striker plate so that the door was very difficult to close. Eventually they worked out that there are 4 bolts (they say) which allow adjustment of the window frame, independently from the door. In my case, the window frame was tilted in at the top too much, leaving a "gap" where the door shell meets the window frame. They tilted the window frame out, re-adjusted the striker plate, and the wind noise is much better.<p>Just my own experience - hope it helps. //Steve<br>
Old 03-02-1999, 12:04 PM
Kyle Bailey

I had a wind noise problem when I got my car. It was only noticeable =on windy days. I finally complained to the dealer at my 15K service. They realigned the door, and the problem was gone. Recently, it seems to have come back, so I brought it to my dealer's attention last week (I now have 49.5K miles). They realigned the window frame, but they went to far. They had to let the striker out, so now the door seam isn't flush. Going back tomorrow to get this fixed, hopefully. <p>Kyle
Old 03-02-1999, 02:52 PM
Greg S (not Slater)

Default I had exact same problem

I told my dealer that the noise got louder when I pushed and got quieter when I pulled on the frame.<p>Here's what the work order says they did.<p>Adjusted door frame. OP-6471610 W2-6471110001<br>Adjusted locking wedge. OP-5725611.OP-5725611 W2-5725110001<p>Don't know what all that means, but it worked. It's been over a year with no problem.<p>Let us know what you finally do if it works.<p>Greg "S"

Quick Reply: taking my car in for wind noise . .suggestions (more)