A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TAP talks down Wett chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-1999, 02:55 PM
BDW

Default TAP talks down Wett chip

<br>TAP's website claims the Wett 1 bar chip, since it has 14 llbs of boost, will fry the stock turbo. TAP claims it's 1-bar chip produces same power with only 11 pounds, therefore easier on turbo and cat converter. TAP also claims the Wett chip pings. I will soon be chip shopping and if anyone can offer anything on this TAP claim to a new but excited 1.8 TQM owner, I'd appreciate it. I've only had my car a week, but already I can see why all of you seem to have such affection for this car. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-1999, 03:11 PM
Roger

Default I don't ever deal with ANY companies that Talk down competitors! I am buying the Wett chip Monday. Their customer service & e-mail is what swayed me toward them. I think that ALL of the chip companies are a good choice. Some are just a li

sdf
Old 02-26-1999, 03:40 PM
Zsolt

Default Well, you just got right in the middle of it...

Get the May 98 issue of European Car. Wett and TAP (hoppen and AMS) evaluated. <p>Yes, TAP seemed to make as much HP as Wett AT 4000 RPM. But while Wett had a torque plato, TAP was reaching this plato only at 4000 RPM, not before or after.<p>I also heard from someone, that his boost gauge with TAP 1 was showing 12+ lbs boost, so he thought he accidentally got a stage 2 chip. But when he got stage 2 it read 13+, so this was not the case. Maybe his gauge was not perfectly calibrated, but who knows how much it was off?<p>Final thought: once you set your boost, there are only pretty narrow ranges the engine parameter values must be within (timing, fuel ...) otherwise you fry the engine, get pinging etc. So once a chip is a certain boost, does not ping and pulls strong from 2500, you have THE chip regardless who manufactured them. Point: IF they work fine I believe they are ending up pretty close to one another, they can not be much different. <p>And the afterthought: these chips are out there for years now, I'd be surprised if tuners did not check each other's code out... Then what is left is play on people's fear ("14 lb will fry your engine") marketing (Stage 1-8 where there is really only 2 stages plus options, well I may get flamed for this) claim to be a full time racing shop (which is true, but it does not matter once another tuner DID find the same parameters on his dyno).<p>So what matters is go with a reputable company. Check the archives who got the most/least "Check engine light" if it matters to you (I for one would not want to see that thing). Decide if you want to take your chances with a 1.0 bar chip that pushes the K03 to the limit, or want to keep a little margin for safety. <p>If you go with TAP and you are around Houston I would love to try that chip on my personal dyno (=gtech on a nice level stretch of road.
Old 02-27-1999, 04:58 AM
Jeff

Default Re: I don't ever deal with ANY companies that Talk down competitors! I am buying the Wett chip Monday. Their customer service & e-mail is what swayed me toward them. I think that ALL of the chip companies are a good choice. Some are just

STATING THAT 14 PSI IS TO MUCH BOOST ON STOCK COMPONENTS ISNT TALKING DOWN THE COMPETITION....ITS THE TRUTH...YOU CAN GET AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF HORSEPOWER AT 11 PSI WITH A GOOD CHIP PROGRAM..
Old 02-27-1999, 05:10 AM
Robbie

Default Morning papers, large danishes, cups of coffee, cell phones, SUVs and people from Marin County do not mix!

I swear, some of the drivers in my community have showers installed in the back of their SUVs and are using them on their commutes. Some of these people simply don't look, and don't care.<p>A non-present lady driving a Lexus Land-Cruiser (no, I refuse to refer to it by anything but the Toyota nomenclature)at about 30mph, came *very* close to running me over in the parking lot of a shopping mall in Mill Valley. <p>Here's the catch: she looked up from the paper she was reading and scowled at me as I dove out of the way. Scowled at *ME*. <p>Excuse me, but I wasn't the one about to commit vehicular manslaughter! She was is *such* a hurry to get to or from SHOPPING that my life was secondary to her SALE pages from the IJ.<p>What planet are these people from, and can we demand that they get visas and driver's permits before they are turned loose on our tarmac?<p>Note: this is not a slam on SUV drivers in general, only the seemingly large contingent that refuses to pay attention on the road.<br>
Old 02-27-1999, 05:12 AM
Robbie

hmmm... the above was supposed to be posted two messages down!
Old 02-27-1999, 06:23 AM
ned

Default HP yes, Torque no

<br>Yes an 11 psi chip can give the same HP as a 14 psi but it definitely will not give the torque.<p>All chips taper boost at the higher RPM's so above 4500rpm almost every chip will be running the same boost. This is done because at lower rpms the turbo can sustain more boost than at higher rpm's. The difference will be at lower rpms and then no doubt will a 1 bar chip produce alot more torque.<p>Ned<br>
Old 02-28-1999, 09:29 AM
Sara

Default Wonder why TAP is picking in Wett? Garrett has 16lbs of boost ! I guess that is too much alos huh?

sdf<br>